BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor started working/not working intermittently and now it just doesn't work. I have checked fuse 76 (orange and a bitch to get to), swapped in a new FSU but still nothing. I read somewhere you can spray electrical parts of motor but I do not know how to get to it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You have to take the dash off. Kinda complicated but definitely doable on a weekend. There are a few Blower Moter DIYs on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If the fan is noisy you can spray lube it, if it's not functioning you're going to have to replace it. A dead blower motor is a dead motor. There's no such thing as a Frankenstein spray that will magically bring it back from the dead.

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Pins 1 and 5 connect directly to the motor. You need to apply 12v to these pins after disconnecting from the FSU. Be aware that the motor will suck MUCH current (the circuit is fused at 40 A)! I assume pin 5 is positive, from looking at the diagram.

·
Under the lift arms
13,086 Posts
. There's no such thing as a Frankenstein spray that will magically bring it back from the dead.
the 82 outside is laughing at this... as its been frankensprayed for about 25 years no lol

confirm your blower is dead b4 you start pulling,

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I slammed door when I got in this morning and blower started working. Stopped at gas station to fill up then car wouldn't start. Buddy jumped me and I noticed my abs brake and seatbelt lights started fluttering. Turn heat down and lights went to normal. Turn blower up and flutters again. Also air did not get warm. Car started to overheat. Made it home!

My theory heat core went bad and I have liquids on wires shorting everything out. What you think. Nice day so I'm going to get in there and see if I can revive this machine

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
That is a possibility. Another is your alternator is going, loose grounds, faulty connection to FSU/FSR. But definitely exploring will assist. Pictures going to be taken with this? Please? :thumbup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Must have a leak in cooling system because it was low hence the overheat issue but no fluids in cabin and still no heat, can't find RR heat valve

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The heater valve has deteriorated in the inside, can't see in pics but need a new one. Did not find any shorted wires but definitely odd that the blower starts if I shut door hard. Not really sure where to even find the short but when I turn the blower all the way up sometimes dash lights blink

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took my battery up to advanced and they charged it all the way full and it checks out good, no weird lights or blower issues. Battery is 7 years old too

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just swapped in heater control valve but guess what, blower won't come on now!!! Damn this pisses me off lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The blower came on this morning on the way to work but still no heat. So I have 2 problems here: intermittent blower operation and no heat. I may go back and pick up another FSU even though I already swapped a new one in. Would a faulty FSU cause me not to have heat? Is there a particular order I should follow here, I am hoping the 2 issues have the same root cause. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to pick up a meter to make continuity and voltage checks as previously mentioned.

·
Under the lift arms
13,086 Posts
no

confirmation of voltage at the blower, when its not working

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked power at pin 2
Jumped pin 2 to 5 and checked power at pin 1 meaning blower circuit closed
When I put a ground to pin 1 nothing happens meaning I need a new blower
Is that right?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do I know compatibility of other makes and models for the blower? There is a junkyard here where I can pull a blower for about $15 ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1477686992.787858.jpg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts