BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys !
Lately my 1996 BMW 328is has been having Blower fan problems. The blower would work only at high speeds. (setting 6 or above). I have a Climate Control System. Somtimes there won't be any display in the "Temperature and Fan speed" screen. Sometimes I won't be able to start the fan when I start the car - it may take 10 or 20 minutes before it will come up and there is no telling when the screen would go blank again.

I did some research and it looks like the Blower Resistor Package or the Final Stage package could be the problem. My confusion is

1. Are Blower Resistor Pack and Final Stage Package the same ?
2. Where are the located ?
3. How do I clean the wire contacts in the Resistor Package ?
4. How much does it cost if I need to replace them?

Thanks very much for you help.
-- Karun

·
tomas3314
54 Posts
I'm pretty sure its the resistor and is a common e36 problem. When I fixed mine (which took about 20 min. or less - if I remember correctly) I found it was a simple DIY and it's located under the driver side dash....I'll try and see if I can find some pictures...I don't remember how much I paid for it but i don't think it was that expensive...less than $50 I think.

Oh and you replace the whole unit...no wires...just plug in/out

·
Registered
2 Posts
tomas,

Is it the resistor or the final stage unit that you replaced?
I am having the same issue with the fan, where it only has one fan speed.

I see the whole unit at one o clock from the gas pedal, but that space is so tight. How exactly do I take that final stage unit or resistor out?

What kind of screw driver do I need to remove this?

Is the arrowed item in the photo correct?

According to this diagram
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CD93&mospid=47504&btnr=64_0556&hg=64&fg=40

Is it part 02 BLOWER RESISTOR that needs replacing? or part 08 FINAL STAGE UNIT as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do I have the same problem?

My climate control fan only seems to operate at one speed: SLOW. I just bought the car, so I don't know exactly how slow.
I have the digital climate control system.
Where should I go from here?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
there is a resistor on your fan and its busted... part costs maybe 15 bucks and you could probably change it yourself... check your book and you will see...
I had the same problem....
Blower Motor Resistor....

Hope that helps you out

Be good and drive fast and safe...

Veemax

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Zinnobitch
579 Posts
Anyone known of a write up on how to replace the resistor? I used the picture as a reference when I went to the junker today but couldn't find if it was the right one or how to take it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1999 z3

My air conditioner blower was working fine until today and then I switched it from 4 to a lower number and it quit. Now it will operate on 4 only, the Z3 has a rotary dial switch with numbers 0-4. Anyway I looked in the fuse box and as far as I can tell the fuses for the AC all looked OK. Any suggestions??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts