BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 325ic (E30) was rear-ended about a year ago. Only a 10mph tap but it required a new rear panel be put in. At first, no problems, then we would get the "check" warning for break lights and occasionally the brake fuse would blow (#6). About 4 months ago, things went from bad to worse. "Check" brake light started to come on all the time and the fuse would blow frequently. Took it to my favorite (independant) mechanic who had the car for weeks, trying to solve the problem. He replaced the brake light switch (at pedal) and ran an continuity test (he says) on all wires from the fuse box to the lights themselves. Even exposed the wires from fuse box to trunk looking for exposed or damaged wires but couldn't find anything. Still fuses would blow. Then he cleaned up all the contacts and ... it stopped blowing fuses. He kept the car for a few more days to make sure and then returned to car to me. Everything was fine for 3 days but now...back to the same problem. Fuse blows the instant you touch the brake. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey RAM321ic,

Did you figure it out? I have a similar problem. I was rear-ended earlier this year. My "brake lights" check light is coming on every now and then when I hit the brakes. Fuse #6 is not blowing and my brake lights work. But for some reason the check light comes on. I think it's the rear lights check relay.

Later

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
yeah mine will do the same thing as well, not very often but the light comes on and everything is working just fine for brake lights

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey powellsd,

Sounds like we're in the same boat. Were you in an accident, too? The damage to my car included the area where the rear lights check relay is located. According to my manual, this relay is in the luggage compartment near the power antenna. Haven't found it yet though. Found a picture of it on the internet to help look for it. That puppy costs around $120. Don't know if I'm going to replace it.

C'ya

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
arewethereyet? said:
Hey powellsd,

Sounds like we're in the same boat. Were you in an accident, too? The damage to my car included the area where the rear lights check relay is located. According to my manual, this relay is in the luggage compartment near the power antenna. Haven't found it yet though. Found a picture of it on the internet to help look for it. That puppy costs around $120. Don't know if I'm going to replace it.

C'ya
All i can say is: JJJJUNKYARD!!!! And if your popin fuses trace the wire. Probably got pinched/cut in the wreck and is sorting out on the body. As for the phantom check/ brake lights,mine does the same thing about every 2 or 3 months . I check the bulbs restart the car and its fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the same problem with my check light. The car has never been in an accident. sort of annoying but everything still works. I turn the car off and start it, it goes away!

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
i cant be for sure if my was in a accident in the rear, i know i seen a little damange up front of the car. I also know this car use to be a auto x car so who knows..i just dont worry about it, the lights work so i just ignore it when it comes on. the only other thing i have going on is the liscene plate light will come on do to one of my wires running back there is not working and i havent taken the time to trace it out. It is the solid gray one that hooks up back there. i just feel like ripping everything apart right now to fix that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts