BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone need help. My 2005 325 I just took a ****. Here's the scenario. Noticed a yellow puddle on garage floor, thought it was cat piss but two days later it didn't evaporate. It was antifreeze, car never over heat, drive 15 miles and the care smoked and stopped running. Parked the car only to find about 2 quarts of motor oil under it draining. Car won't start but cranks over. Towed home and next day another quart or so under the car. Car cranks over but won't start. Zero oil visible in dipstick???? Blown engine, gasket, crankshaft etc.???????? Need to know wether to spend money on fixing it. Only 60k miles. Stupid wufe

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Such a significant oil loss only happens if there is a major damage to the block, head or to the oil pan.
Maybe the oil pan hit a rock however that doesn't explain the coolant loss so probably the coolant leak resulted in a cracked head.

Don't crank it anymore since it has run out of oil. However I don't think that engine is worth saving since it was running with little oil in it.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Another topic. If your car happens to be mystic blue metallic and you plan to part it out, please message me. I need some chassis parts. Thanks.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
If you want to keep the car the cheapest option is to swap in a new engine. If the body and drivetrain aren't in good shape than just part it out.

Tim

·
Registered
388 Posts
First thing to do before you either write off the car or go after a new engine is figure out where exactly it's leaking from. Going to have to jack it up and crawl underneath with a flashlight.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If the car never overheated, I can't figure out why you'd have catastrophic engine failure. Before doing anything radical, spend a few bucks for a compression test.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
If the car never overheated, I can't figure out why you'd have catastrophic engine failure.
Then think about what could be a minor issue that results in such a massive oil loss. Also no red light doesn't mean there weren't any overheating. Once there is some air in the coolant passages of the engine, the coolant temperature gauge isn't reliable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blown engine

Thanks to everyone, just decided to buy her a new one. I don't want to have to be blaming used car dealerships or private sellers if something goes wrong. At least this way I know if I destroy it it's totally my fault

1 - 9 of 9 Posts