Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my October production E90 from 3 days at the dealership- Fourth trip in trying to fix NON PAIRING-INTERMITTENT Pairing of my Motorola RAZR with the car. The phone is perfect and new and the pairing works occasionaly maybe 3/10 times in car.

So I picked up the car tonite and the service manager told me it is FIXED - Reprogrammed per BMW's newest service bulletin with the latest software.

When I picked it up it worked. Now 1/2 hour and 2 starts later - no good!! No connection. Same old problem!!!

What should an owner do??? How many chances do you give them to fix it?

What should the remedy be if the feature can not be fixed??

I really want the feature to work as I am on call all the time and often receive calls while in transit!!

Any thoughts out there?? What is the next step?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
drstevenk said:
Just picked up my October production E90 from 3 days at the dealership- Fourth trip in trying to fix NON PAIRING-INTERMITTENT Pairing of my Motorola RAZR with the car. The phone is perfect and new and the pairing works occasionaly maybe 3/10 times in car.

So I picked up the car tonite and the service manager told me it is FIXED - Reprogrammed per BMW's newest service bulletin with the latest software.

When I picked it up it worked. Now 1/2 hour and 2 starts later - no good!! No connection. Same old problem!!!

What should an owner do??? How many chances do you give them to fix it?

What should the remedy be if the feature can not be fixed??

I really want the feature to work as I am on call all the time and often receive calls while in transit!!

Any thoughts out there?? What is the next step?
I picked up mine yesterday (re-delivery after ED) and I have a RAZR - worked great in Europe and seems to be fine here - need to check the call waiting functions though.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I spoke to BMW Customer Relations and they have absolutely no desire to help. They just claim that it's a phone issue and they are not responsible. The same is true of my dealer - who says there's nothing more they can do.

I have no issues with pairing - my problem is related to call waiting. Everytime I'm on a call and someone else beeps in, the original call is disconnected - even if I just ignore the waiting call and allow it to go to voicemail. Very annoying.

I'm now looking at new phones - which is very sad...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Have a freind with a Bluetooth phone over to test his or her phone to see if it's the car's problem. That's one way to verify. If it also failed, then you know the car's system is at fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is absolutely the car and not the phone. The phone pairs perfectly with my brothers 04 330
and with a wireless headset if I try to pair it. The service adviser tried to pair his phone and it also failed. When I first picked up the car the dealer sent me to VERIZON to have them check the phone. The phone is 100% perfect. The issue is the car. BMW has put out a bulletin about the issue and claimed to have a solution but apprently that is not the case.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Ask them to replace the whole unit to see if they would. You paid extra for it and it should work!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I don't think the unit is the problem. I think it's a software compatibility issue. How can one person have a V3 that works flawlessly, and another have one that won't even pair, in addition to a bunch of people with smaller problems somewhere in between. It's crazy.

I'm beginning to think that it's definitely a software issue with the car. I'm taking mine to another dealer on Tuesday. The initial dealer I used cannot tell their a*s from their elbow. Hopefully, I'll have more luck next time.

What irritates me is that BMW certify this phone as "fully compatible" with their system. That's why I bought the RAZR. It clearly is not "fully compatible" and BMW should be forced to compensate those who are affected.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
drstevenk said:
It is absolutely the car and not the phone. The phone pairs perfectly with my brothers 04 330
and with a wireless headset if I try to pair it. The service adviser tried to pair his phone and it also failed. When I first picked up the car the dealer sent me to VERIZON to have them check the phone. The phone is 100% perfect. The issue is the car. BMW has put out a bulletin about the issue and claimed to have a solution but apprently that is not the case.

Any thoughts??
Yes.

What you offered is no proof at all that it´s not the phone. Saying it works with a totally different telematics unit in a 2004 330 and a headset that doesn´t even use the handsfree profile is not proof.

The only proof is one of two things:
1.) you test your mobile in another car similarly equipped to yours
2.) you test another mobile (which it sounds like you were refusing to do) that is known to work in another MY2006 car similarly equipped to yours - in your vehicle.

Further, since it´s from Verizon and Verizon is well known to muck up the Bluetooth firmware, the first suspect should be the mobile.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The only thing that the Verizon RAZR cannot do is OPP. Otherwise, all the other Bluetooth work fine. Even OBEX file transfer is enabled. Guess they learned the hard way with their V710.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
dtkw said:
The only thing that the Verizon RAZR cannot do is OPP. Otherwise, all the other Bluetooth work fine. Even OBEX file transfer is enabled. Guess they learned the hard way with their V710.
There are differences in how different mobile manufacturers deploy specific Bluetooth profiles, which is why some Nokia phones transfer the directory to the car while others don´t.

It seems that some firmware versions of the RAZR have had some problems, from what I´ve heard. Not every RAZR necessarily has the same exact firmware.

Regardless, the OP needs to determine properly where his problem lies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2006 E90 has similar problems. I have a Motorola V710 (WITH the listed firmware that BMW says works) and I constantly have to re-pair the phone to the car. It really gets annoying sometimes.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
dman said:
My 2006 E90 has similar problems. I have a Motorola V710 (WITH the listed firmware that BMW says works) and I constantly have to re-pair the phone to the car. It really gets annoying sometimes.
Ever notice that most complaints of this nature involve Verizon mobiles?

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
dtkw said:
what is OPP....? OBEX is object exchange, I know... but that one is new... what is the difference?

TIA

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
obmd1 said:
what is OPP....? OBEX is object exchange, I know... but that one is new... what is the difference?

TIA
Not new. OPP is object push profile. OBEX/OPP/Serial profiles as a group are responsible for transferring things like photos and phone numbers or synching with a PC.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
drstevenk said:

Any thoughts??
I would not go as far as saying that the phone is 100% perfect, however I'm inclined to be in agreement with you in that the culprit seems to be the E90 Bluetooth software.

The way I see it, just the fact that there is a separate, dedicated Bluetooth software in E90's, where in E46's it was hardcoded into TCUs and ULFs, tells me that we are not talking about the same thing when we compare the pairing performance of the V3c in E90's vs. E46s. However, there's an official recognition by BMW that there something not quite right in the E90's BT software at their end when they issued a "fix".

Now, even that I'm inclined to blame the car BT sotware and not the phone, there's still the issue of why in this particular case the "fix" did not work. This could be a one car fluke, a bad BT antenna (or a batch), a bad downloading, or even no downloading at all and probably the old version is still there... the only way to find out is taking the car back to the dealer again, although I would try to have another dealer check it out too for second opinion's sake. :confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
After working on the BT intermittent pairing issue for two months since I purchased the E815 phone specificially for the 06 325i, it is the BT software in the car. Problem in the programming and sleep mode. Went through two new motorola E815s, four trips to two dealers, a new TCU unit in the car, reprogramming the car three times and now with BMW fix in CIP 20, it is working (fingers crossed).

There are several threads out on bimmerfest and E90post. The dealer should be able to work it out or ask BMW for research on the issue. I do have a very good SA with my dealer and she stayed on the problem after my car was in for service the third time and BMW decided to research the problem.

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
Jspira said:
Not new. OPP is object push profile. OBEX/OPP/Serial profiles as a group are responsible for transferring things like photos and phone numbers or synching with a PC.
no.... just new to me:angel: so with OBEX and not OPP will it sync with outlook, etc? I have no interest in file sharing, but would like it to work properly with a palm for data exchange on the interweb, and my computer for outlook contacts updates....

sorry I know this is OT....

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I am no phone expert, but my V3c can sycn with my pc and Parrot Ck3100 without problem. I just cannot use Bluetooth to transfer wallpapers or anything from my phone to another phone. However, when I am going to get a E90, I will ask to test the bluetooth first with my phone. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts