BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard BMW is incorparating Blue Tooth in the new BMWs begining this september for all European cars and sometime next year for US cars. does any body knows of exact details of this. I am doing a Euro dilevery of my car this Nov 2003 BMW 330i and cant wait for it. does anyone knows if i can get it installed at the dealers there in europe when i go there to pick up the car.
Rohit

·
Registered
45 Posts
So the press release I saw said that the 3-series, X5s, and something else would all be prewired starting with September production. I assume that you have to buy the kit afterward, kinda like the current phone system or the alarm. So the real question is are the September onward US spec cars going to be prewired such that we can install the kit when it and the phones are finally released? Or are those of us with cars on order right now just going to be sol? Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
362 Posts
thinking said:
So the press release I saw said that the 3-series, X5s, and something else would all be prewired starting with September production. I assume that you have to buy the kit afterward, kinda like the current phone system or the alarm. So the real question is are the September onward US spec cars going to be prewired such that we can install the kit when it and the phones are finally released? Or are those of us with cars on order right now just going to be sol? Any thoughts anyone?
The press release said the wiring would be in the Euro builds only in September and NOT in the NA builds until January.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Bluetooth?

Is this yet another way that BMW has decided to get rid of cup holders? Does anyone know if the US verison of Bluetooth will look like the prep photo above?

I saw in Roundel that Bluetooth will be offered after the 1st of the year at prices beginning at 500 depending on model.

Bluetooth sounds like a great way to get the convenience of hands free for a phone without paying an enormous amount for an out of date Motorola..... but, one of the things i was looking forward to with my next car was a cup holder.... (Yes, that is petty, but I am on the road a lot).

Anyone else have any more information?

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
Re: Bluetooth?

jrubens said:
one of the things i was looking forward to with my next car was a cup holder.... (Yes, that is petty, but I am on the road a lot).
BMW's "literature" for the CPT 8000 shows the phone nesting inside the armrest. I guess this is for the 5 or 7 series, though. It would have been nice of them to point this out, in the brochure, so people like me wouldn't assume it applied to the 3er, then be highly disappointed to learn otherwise. Yeah, I really want built-in cupholders, too. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask when you're paying nearly 50K.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Cupholders in most German cars are a concession to the US market. Until recently they were unheard of in Europe. Notice how most cupholders in euro cars tend to be pretty crappy (some Audis come to mind).

I almost never use mine so even though my phone isn't mounted there, I replaced my cupholders with a covered storage compartment.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any updates on Blue tooth???? I have heard it is available now as a option with all the european Cars and it works great. Has anyone in the US tried to install a Blue Tooth Retro Kit ??? If yes how easy was the install and how much and where did u get the retro kit. I called my dealer and he has no clue about it....

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Since Bluetooth is a wireless technology, I don't see how having a car with bluetooth would preclude the use of the cupholders. In that pic of the Bluetooth car, i'm sure you could just swap out that storage bin for the cupholders-- if that's what you wanted. You should be able to leave your Bluetooth phone in your pocket, or anywhere else in the car and have it work.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
IIRC, the bluetooth holder does two things: 1) provide power/battery charge; 2) integrate with car antenna. (I think I got this from the BMW press release). Since bluetooth itself is wireless, in theory one could do without the holder if a) one had enought juice in the celly's battery and b) didn't need the improved reception. Therefore you could get the cup holders and bluetooth. My guess is you'd still pay for the holder, though . . .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks RS2 for the info. Has anyone in US installed this kit???
Also I want to know does BMW occassionally change the part numbers in future . Like now they have a Bluetooth kit out in the market so it it possible like after 4 months they discontinue this and come out with a new kit??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts