BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Bluebee is so good in being the gather of all information, I would like her assistance in starting a thread on the various ways to deal with Valley Pan gasket sealing, and how well each method works.

So far I see three methods:

1. New valley pan. Either new style BMW OEM or the much maligned URO

2. Use the old valley pan, remove the old gasket and seal with Permatex Right Stuff gray.

3. Use a new M60 type gasket,

I ordered the URO but returned it when it didn't sit flat on the block. From what I've read subsequently....URO = no bueno. I think going to another OEM pan is a waste of effort. I'm considering either option 2 or 3.. I have the Right Stuff and I have ordered the gasket.

I would love to hear the pros and cons of each with user experiences.

·
Otto Zwei-Punkt-Null
3,522 Posts
Basically you will need some sort of high heat gasket maker that wlll not react to the coolant.. Valley pan does have coolant in it right? I'm not entirely sure I'm not a V8 owner. You might be able to use the same RTV we all use to seal up the VCGs.. Which is the copper coloured RTV. You might want to let it sit for the 24 hours to let it cure then it may have less chance to react with coolant / oil what ever is in the valley pan I know nothing about..

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
I would just get a factory one. Order it from Husker BMW online, they have great prices. I have only had one failure, with the original one, at around 80k miles. I have since replaced it twice preventively over the intervening years...always used oem. At 224k miles now. It is not a very inviting location as you know, so not sure that there is much room for improvement over the stock part.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered the old style gasket to try (it was only $15). thinking about combining it with the "Right Stuff"

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I have the I6, so, I know nothing about that v8 valley pan gasket, 'cept that it leaks ...

Typing /valley pan f3 in the bestlinks nets this:
- BMW E38/E39 V8 M62 engine valley pan gasket coolant leak DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & what parts to order in a valley pan gasket kit (1) (2) & what is the purpose of the valley pan anyway (1) & why does the thing leak anyway (1)

YouTube Video:
- 99 BMW E39 540i 544i ValleyPan job in 10 Minutes

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks bluebee, I have read that the new oem style is nothing more than a bead of sealant. There is a school of thought that says: use the old valley pan, remove the gasket, clean it up and seal with Permatex "the right stuff - gray". Trying to find out if anyone has any long term experience with this.

·
Registered
833 Posts
thanks bluebee, I have read that the new oem style is nothing more than a bead of sealant. There is a school of thought that says: use the old valley pan, remove the gasket, clean it up and seal with Permatex "the right stuff - gray". Trying to find out if anyone has any long term experience with this.
To me that bead of sealant in OEM valley pan is too thin, there is no point to get new pan, like you said, just clean up the old one, put Permatex gasket maker, should be good.

·
Registered
587 Posts
so far so good for me using a high temp gasket maker. it has been a couple of years now. for other applications i can see how using a specific designed gasket would be preferred, but in this case it really is just a simple seal. for me using NPG+, there is very little pressure in the system.

G~

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
To me that bead of sealant in OEM valley pan is too thin, there is no point to get new pan, like you said, just clean up the old one, put Permatex gasket maker, should be good.
Yeah thats how I'm leaning

so far so good for me using a high temp gasket maker. it has been a couple of years now. for other applications i can see how using a specific designed gasket would be preferred, but in this case it really is just a simple seal. for me using NPG+, there is very little pressure in the system.

G~
I bought the reservoir cap that reduced the pressure to 15psi instead of 30. Thanks for sharing your experience

1 - 9 of 9 Posts