Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I currently own BlueDriver and getting ready to send it back. The maintenance schedule is off and I’m told by BlueDriver that’s handled by third party with no estimated time for a fix. :(

I’ve been looking into Carly, BUT have read horror stories about it frying your ECU and in other cases, corrupting your system. YIKES!!

Before I purchase, anyone have firsthand knowledge about this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have had Carly for a while now after initially having my car remote coded. I think it works great. Very useful for getting codes and for coding. Back in the day, you would buy the app and then purchase in-app upgrades like battery registration but I think now everything is all-in-one in the full version -- that's a good thing. I would definitely buy the Carly adapter. Other generic adapters may work fine but why risk it? Obviously, the Carly people have tested their adapter to work with the app and the firmware has even been updated on it via the app. I have never had any issues with using MyCarly and would recommend it highly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have had Carly for a while now after initially having my car remote coded. I think it works great. Very useful for getting codes and for coding. Back in the day, you would buy the app and then purchase in-app upgrades like battery registration but I think now everything is all-in-one in the full version -- that's a good thing. I would definitely buy the Carly adapter. Other generic adapters may work fine but why risk it? Obviously, the Carly people have tested their adapter to work with the app and the firmware has even been updated on it via the app. I have never had any issues with using MyCarly and would recommend it highly.

Thank you for the detailed response. I’d like to see if anyone else has something to say. The last thing I need is a repair claim DENIED because I damaged the ECU or the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm a rookie, I've been considering Protool, but I would have to buy a cheap android tablet because I'm "all in" on the Apple ecosystem.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net

Also working on configuring a spare windows laptop with the BMW toolset on it, but I made a mistake and bought a ENET cable when I believe I need a DCAN cable instead. I'm slowly getting there and have spent a little time on the coding forums. Not sure how scary the laptop software is compared to running something more consumer grade like Carly or Protool, but I know it's more powerful once you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hi everyone.

I currently own BlueDriver and getting ready to send it back. The maintenance schedule is off and I’m told by BlueDriver that’s handled by third party with no estimated time for a fix. :(

I’ve been looking into Carly, BUT have read horror stories about it frying your ECU and in other cases, corrupting your system. YIKES!!

Before I purchase, anyone have firsthand knowledge about this?
+1 for Carly. It is basically "idiot proof" - very unlikely that you will brick a module, IMHO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 for Carly. It is basically "idiot proof" - very unlikely that you will brick a module, IMHO.
True, but I don’t like subscription fees, and I work in IT so I like to think I’m not your average idiot.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
True, but I don’t like subscription fees, and I work in IT so I like to think I’m not your average idiot.
You'll be just fine.
The Windows based tools aren't that bad even if someone is only half tech savvy.

ISTA is good for doing maintenance, checking out info and resetting adaptations and such. (registering battery, resetting transfer case, rain sensor etc, if I recall correctly)
I think you can also use a tool like INPA for similar things.

You can use NCSexpert to code which is fairly straight forward if you take your time and just want to code different options in your car's behavior, (removing the idrive warning, changing hazard blinks, fob key window roll down etc)

What I tend to stay away from is engine tuning. I'm not interested in those features but if I was, I would likely use something from the professionals like the JB4 from Burger.

And since you are techie, yes... you'll need the DCAN cable. E84X1's and later model E9x's have the CIC idrive system and require the DCAN. Only F Series vehicles with NBT idrive systems use the ENET cable if I recall correctly.
Also look at getting a USB to ethernet adapter if you want to update your NAV maps yourself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You'll be just fine.
The Windows based tools aren't that bad even if someone is only half tech savvy.

Sweet! Thank you @stonex1 That’s just the kind of basic info and encouragement I need to get that DCAN cable ordered and laptop fired up again.

Next time you’re in Seattle the drinks on me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts