BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why they haven't made a kit or a retrofit for this yet? I hear the MY05's can handle having both BT and BMW Assist at the same time. They've gotta be able to do it. Anyone hear if this will be coming out soon?!?!:dunno:

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
On MY04 3 series, you would have to change the TCU... which would cost a crap load! I don't see how it would be worth it to you. I chose to dissable the Assist. I use the Bluetooth constantly... but will not pay for the assist after the first year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did it on my '04 4.8 by retrofitting the '05 TCU module and ALL IS OK (other than having to program it twice before it "took" and the $700 cost - incl. install.). Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I remember correctly 03/04 and newer. Your X should be fine. Order the 2005 TCU. I bought mine from Crevier for a substantial savings over retail. You'll have to get it recoded. Mine also took two attempts. If you buy the snapin you will need to add a second cell antenna. I also installed the bumper antenna (the article is on X5world.com).

FLY X5 said:
Can you clarify what you mean by "certain 2004's"

Mine is a August '04 build, with Nav and Assist. Is there a way to get BT and keep Assist, without having to swap out for the '05 unit?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So...this entire install can be performed by my stealer? I'm not very handy when it comes to car installation...and it makes my wife nervous, so I'd perfer to use the stealer. Would I be able to just walk in and tell them what I'm trying to accomplish?

·
Member of the ® club
1,280 Posts
asnpcwiz said:
So...this entire install can be performed by my stealer? I'm not very handy when it comes to car installation...and it makes my wife nervous, so I'd perfer to use the stealer. Would I be able to just walk in and tell them what I'm trying to accomplish?
Take a copy of this TSB with you and tell your service advisor that you want your current TCU replaced with a 2005 Model Year TCU. (assuming your X5 was produced between 3/2004 and 8/2004)

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/841304.pdf

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, thanks for the response guys...looks like I'll be spending a pretty penny on this. I'll have to ask the dealer what their price is on this badboy. I'll give you guys an update if I decide to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts