BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here. I just purchased a 2003 325i and have some issues I can't seem to resolve.

1. The previous owner told me he recently replaced the car battery. Since then, the key FOB does not work. He 'says' it worked until then. I have read a couple of different post about how to re-program, but nothing works. How can I determine what the problem is? Is there a common issue that I can look into? All the locks work as they should otherwise.

2. I have a button on the steering wheel that is for using the cell phone through the audio system. The PDF I downloaded says there is a second button on the back of the console, under the arm rest that is used to pair my wireless device. It says that the button on the wheel will not work for pairing. Problem is, there is no second button under the arm rest for this. Not sure what to do. (business CD/radio)

3. No heat. The blower works, all the controls seem to work OK. Just no heat. The temp gauge point at 12:00 for the most part, but I have notice a couple of times - during highway driving - that it will drop to about 1/4 to 1/3 between cold and straight up. But for the most part, it stays up and seems to get there fairly fast, within two or three miles with temps here in the 40's and 50's right now. I did check the three fuses listed for the heating system. All good. From what I read, this could be a t-stat?

4. It has rain sensitive wipers, but they don't work. They will swipe one time when I adjust the wheel on the wiper control stalk. Are there any common issues with this? The windshield does have a crack about 15 inches long in the upper right corner. Could this cause an issue with the sensor? My understanding is that there is some kind of film on the outside of the windshield that makes this work?

This is my first BMW and I love the car. Just want to get some of this stuff repaired before I move onto some of the bigger issues. Like alignment, headlights, etc. I do have 20 years auto service experience, but have been out of the business for nearly 15 years. I worked nearly all of that time for GM dealers. Not familiar with the nuances of BMWs.

Thanks Guys!

--Vern

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well ... alrighty then. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
1. The key has a small battery in it that charges when you drive. It's possible it died. Unlock the door with the key, drive the car (I don't know how long, but a long trip is obviously better) and see if the key works after that. Or you might have to open it up and change the battery. I think they are sold online.

2. These cars are prewired for Bluetooth, but most of them don't actually have the main module installed (It was an option).

3. The gauge is buffered - it might sit in the middle but the actual temp will vary. I would guess your t-stat is stuck open.

4. The crack should not affect the sensor. It's in the base of the mirror I think. Mine is not working very well, it keeps wiping even though the windshield is almost completely dry. You should replace that windshield by the way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, thanks for the input Ventsyv. I had about given up on this forum, but came back to check one last time. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Can you by chance tell me the definitive process for programing the key? I have seen at least 5 different versions online, all different. Can't find it in my owner manual. So I am not sure if I actually have a problem, or if I am not following the correct proceedure. Very frustrating.

Thanks again! :)

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
2. I have a button on the steering wheel that is for using the cell phone through the audio system. The PDF I downloaded says there is a second button on the back of the console, under the arm rest that is used to pair my wireless device. It says that the button on the wheel will not work for pairing. Problem is, there is no second button under the arm rest for this. Not sure what to do. (business CD/radio)
FYI, the TCUs (telephone control units) produced after a certain date don't require the installation of a separate pairing button. They can pair with the steering wheel button pressed.

If the dealer doesn't have a record of a Bluetooth installation, you can check yourself for the presence of the module by peeling back the left side lining of the trunk. If you do have the module installed, you can then get the passkey from the label on the unit. Read this pictorial to learn more about how to locate the system components:

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_E46_Bluetooth_Installation_Instructions.html

Welcome to Bimmerfest. Be sure to read the wiki linked at the top of the forum page, and consider purchasing a copy of the Bentley Publishers repair manual if you plan to DIY.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet! Thanks for that info G.P.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up my E46 today, and have Bluetooth fitted (factory fit). It has the button on the steering wheel, but crucially it has the additional button together with the 'snap in' blank where the phone cradle would go, together with an eject button to remove the 'blank tray' and fit with a cradle. If you don't have a button in the centre console with the same 'talking man' icon as the wheel, guessing you haven;t got it fitted... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.