BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just recently purchased a 2011 bmw 328i. It does not have iDrive or nav. It has bluetooth for incoming and outgoing calls, but it doesn't have bluetooth audio for playing music from my iphone. I really want an option for this. What would be some creative solutions to this problem? I saw 3rd party things that plug into the aux jack by belkin and griffin, are there better options out there? i want to reduce cable clutter, and it seems like all those things want to have a mic out.

I wouldn't mind using the built in bluetooth for phone calls and some other one for music as long as it can be hidden in my arm rest and doesn't require me to do any manual switching between the two.

Appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you have a '11 328i didn't you get the value package which I believe is free? If so, you should have a ipod usb adaptor port in the armrest thing that flips up that you can you plug your iphone in and then listen to music that way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the prompt reply. I do have the ipod usb adapter port, however I was looking for a wireless solution once i enter the car. Plus the ipod usb adapter only accesses the music library. If i want to use pandora on the phone or mapquest turn by turn directions or anything else for that matter, bluetooth audio is the way to go. Any other ideas or product suggestions?

thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thank you for the prompt reply. I do have the ipod usb adapter port, however I was looking for a wireless solution once i enter the car. Plus the ipod usb adapter only accesses the music library. If i want to use pandora on the phone or mapquest turn by turn directions or anything else for that matter, bluetooth audio is the way to go. Any other ideas or product suggestions?

thanks!
Hmmmmmm..............I'm puzzled. With the ipod adaptor, you can stream Pandora through your radio system, and still use your iphone navigation. I used Navigon, and i plug my iphone 4s into the ipod adaptor, and as i'm listening to music from the iphone, if navigon gives me new voice directions, the music dims and the voice comes over the car speakers, and then after, the music comes back on. If you receive a call as well, the BT kicks in and you can pick up the call and talk via BT, and while you're having your conversation, if Navigon needs to speak updated directions, the conversation dims a little, the navigon voice speaks, then goes away and you're back into your conversation. The integration here is pretty seemless. What i'm puzzled about is, i understand the coolness of streaming something wireless via BT, but that would be a battery killer, and while in the car, i would imagine you would want to keep your phone plugged into some power outlet to keep your phone charged up. If so, you will need to hook the phone up regardless, so why not just use the ipod adaptor port, stream music through your car speakers, use your iphone navigation, and still be able to use BT for phone conversations, all pretty seemlessly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. So i may have been mistaken regarding pandora and nav and all that. What threw me off was when you go to the ipod app, it says an accessory is connected and you can't control it from the phone as an option (or can you??). So that is a bit concerning for me because I'm a musician and i record my long rehearsal sessions with artists. sometimes i just want to forward 45 mins into a track to get to a particular part. That's easy to do on the phone, but difficult when having to forward 45 mins using the car's controller.

Anyway to retain the ipod app controls on the phone as well as thru the car? That would help eliminating any need for bluetooth audio :)

thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the reply. So i may have been mistaken regarding pandora and nav and all that. What threw me off was when you go to the ipod app, it says an accessory is connected and you can't control it from the phone as an option (or can you??). So that is a bit concerning for me because I'm a musician and i record my long rehearsal sessions with artists. sometimes i just want to forward 45 mins into a track to get to a particular part. That's easy to do on the phone, but difficult when having to forward 45 mins using the car's controller.

Anyway to retain the ipod app controls on the phone as well as thru the car? That would help eliminating any need for bluetooth audio :)

thanks!
Yes, you're correct if you're using the iphone's Ipod App, in that you can't control it through the phone. I have to admit, it is a pain, that i can't scroll through playlists from the iphone, and well the radio controls to find a playlist is a PITA and not worth the trouble. So, i usually just set the playlist i want before plugging in the phone. With that said, if you use other apps that stream audio such as pandora, you can still control it through the phone. But not for the ipod app.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts