BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read here and there about the 328i 2008 being semi-equipped for bluetooth,.. the button is on the steering wheel and the radio seems to lower and a voice speaks.. so it seems its all there..

What do i need to install bluetooth aftermarket? can somebody point me in the right direction? thanks,

·
resident dj
201 Posts
you have 2 choices. either BMW retrofit for about $1000-1200
or buy a parrot evolution 3000 with quickconnect steering wheel interface. this would be around $300

downside of the second solution is that it does not upload your phone book to the stereo and you will have to use their provided passive mic, however, it is not a big deal, since you can put it into the same location OEM mic supposed to be.

im installing parrot kit on tuesday, when my car gets out of the body shop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did it go installing the parrot? is there any visible parts? like a screen, or cables somewhere after installing it? or is it very clean? how much is the system? how much did you pay to install it?

what is the exact parrot model i need to buy?

thanks a lot!

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
How did it go installing the parrot? is there any visible parts? like a screen, or cables somewhere after installing it? or is it very clean? how much is the system? how much did you pay to install it?

what is the exact parrot model i need to buy?

thanks a lot!
I had a Parrot in my Lexus SC300. It is a very good unit and if it installed properly integrates well into the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is much online discussion regarding bluetooth, and having recently purchased a 2008 328xi I have done my own assessment of the situation. First, if your car did not come from the factory with the premium package that includes BMW Assist, it is very costly (upwards of $1,000) to get the OEM bluetooth installed even if you find a dealer willing to do it. No doubt that the OEM installation is the cleanest and offers the most features, however, as it has been discussed there are nice alternatives that are much more economical. Here's my solution that I will be installing in my 328xi. First I sellected the Parrot CK3000 bluetooth package, and purchased it off ebay for $50. For me it offers the cleanest installation with the ability to add a module for the steering wheel controls allowing you to hide the Parrot controller out of sight. Wanting the steering wheel control feature, I chose to go with the interface and harness offered at http://www.parrotkits.com/steeringwheel.html for $200 including shipping. Although proffessional installation is recommended, I am techy inclined so I plan to install myself with the instructions provided with the units as well as several guides and tips I pulled off the net. It looks like I should be able to complete the install in under 4 hours. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is much online discussion regarding bluetooth, and having recently purchased a 2008 328xi I have done my own assessment of the situation. First, if your car did not come from the factory with the premium package that includes BMW Assist, it is very costly (upwards of $1,000) to get the OEM bluetooth installed even if you find a dealer willing to do it. No doubt that the OEM installation is the cleanest and offers the most features, however, as it has been discussed there are nice alternatives that are much more economical. Here's my solution that I will be installing in my 328xi. First I sellected the Parrot CK3000 bluetooth package, and purchased it off ebay for $50. For me it offers the cleanest installation with the ability to add a module for the steering wheel controls allowing you to hide the Parrot controller out of sight. Wanting the steering wheel control feature, I chose to go with the interface and harness offered at http://www.parrotkits.com/steeringwheel.html for $200 including shipping. Although proffessional installation is recommended, I am techy inclined so I plan to install myself with the instructions provided with the units as well as several guides and tips I pulled off the net. It looks like I should be able to complete the install in under 4 hours. I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.
I followed your link but there are two harnesses. Did you need the round one or the flat one?

·
Registered
30 Posts
steering wheel integration

helomaker: any updates on your install.

can you discuss how well the steering wheel buttons left side and right side map to ck3000 functions? any problems. i attached a pic so you can explain with visual.

thanks for your time.

I am trying to decide between ck3000 and mki9000, i dont have an ipod/iphone/dont plan on connecting external device, so leaning towards ck3000

Attachments

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
I've read here and there about the 328i 2008 being semi-equipped for bluetooth,.. the button is on the steering wheel and the radio seems to lower and a voice speaks.. so it seems its all there..

What do i need to install bluetooth aftermarket? can somebody point me in the right direction? thanks,
Which button? It sounds like you are pressing the voice command button if a voice is heard. Is it the one with a phone on, or the one with head and sound waves?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts