BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bluetooth for the Sport

1611 Views 14 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  geargrinder
I decided to add bluetooth capability to my 540 M-Sport. I bought the parts from getBMWparts.com (Tischer BMW) for what I think is a great price. Everything was plug and play on my car as the car was built with a Motorola phone installed. That means that it already had the SES module in the trunk for VR and a microphone in the overhead.

Below is the list of parts it took to do the job:
84109195455, TCU with bluetooth, $276.45 (after core return)
84506928461, bluetooth antenna, $20.60
51168215493, Center arm rest tray, $11.66
84136924546, TCU mounting bracket, $22.14
Ship & Handling, $28.90

Total $359.75

Now I have a fully integrated factory bluetooth phone system installed. I paired it with my HTC Inspire 4G and it downloded my contacts without a hitch. I can now dial either by scrolling through the phone book on the MID and/or inst cluster or dial by voice using number or contact name. And.....the new parts have a warranty of two years, unlimited mileage.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Congrats, welcome to the OEM Bluetooth club.

Where did you pick up your donor core from?
Didn't need a donor core. I just used the Motorola TCU that came with my car.
Congrats, welcome to the OEM Bluetooth club.

Where did you pick up your donor core from?
I will cross reference this thread to those in the bestlinks so others benefit.
- How to add hands-free OEM ULF/TCU bluetooth or Parrot or cellphone pairing to your E39 (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & Hualigan (1) & what to do with an existing BMW 540i mobile telephone (1)
Hi,

These retrofits are great in terms of when handsets do work with them. However do keep in mind the oem bluetooth modules that work in the E39 are from at least 5+ years ago. As technology moves forward, there's increased chances that new handsets just won't work as well or at all with the older BMW modules (or indeed any other brand in a similar retrofit type scenario) If you look through similar posts to this, some have reported that their address book just doesn't want to work but an older phone did or the voice dial bit etc etc. So, perhaps the next iPhone 5 might not work at all? or the iPhone 6! same with the Samsung and HTC's of the world too. In that case, owners would have to keep an older handset if they wish to continue using the oem bluetooth in their E39's (and other brand cars where this sort of thing has been done) at pushing on $400 it's very very expensive. One easy and better method would be to use a sun visor mounted bluetooth hands free kit for around $50-75 - the next generation ones will be voice controlled completely too :)

Cheers, Dennis!
OK, so vehicle already had a TCU in it which you used for the core. I missed reading that in OP.
Didn't need a donor core. I just used the Motorola TCU that came with my car.
Not to be mean to anyone here but I did the Dice Mediabrigde installation it was cheaper, it works with my iphone and it is totally integrated
I decided to add bluetooth capability to my 540 M-Sport. I bought the parts from getBMWparts.com (Tischer BMW) for what I think is a great price. Everything was plug and play on my car as the car was built with a Motorola phone installed. That means that it already had the SES module in the trunk for VR and a microphone in the overhead.

Below is the list of parts it took to do the job:
84109195455, TCU with bluetooth, $276.45 (after core return)
84506928461, bluetooth antenna, $20.60
51168215493, Center arm rest tray, $11.66
84136924546, TCU mounting bracket, $22.14
Ship & Handling, $28.90

Total $359.75

Now I have a fully integrated factory bluetooth phone system installed. I paired it with my HTC Inspire 4G and it downloded my contacts without a hitch. I can now dial either by scrolling through the phone book on the MID and/or inst cluster or dial by voice using number or contact name. And.....the new parts have a warranty of two years, unlimited mileage.
Does it mute the car audio, display contacts on High Cluster message center, and function via steering wheel controls?
Not to be mean to anyone here but I did the Dice Mediabrigde installation it was cheaper, it works with my iphone and it is totally integrated
It mutes car audio and uses steering wheel buttons. Doesn't use the cluster but caller Id through audio and mid. The other bonuses are cd quality audio, also charger for my phone in my euro armrest, sirius radio, aux wire. Updatable. Has an option to charger phone after car is off on a timer. So if I'm out of battery I can leave my phone in the car while I shopping or something.

You can scroll through playlist album artists and it's totally stealth
Dennis....everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me this is exactly what I was looking for. The unit I purchased direct from BMW has a date code of 21.09.2010 and worked flawlessly with my 14 month old android phone.
Yes to all!
Does it mute the car audio, display contacts on High Cluster message center, and function via steering wheel controls?
I'm glad to hear that you have one of their devices that work's as advertised. I've owned some of their previous products and wouldn't by anything from them again.
The price point is close to the same once you add in the DSP adapter.

Not looking to change my setup but every few years I do look at the new gear out there.
Mmmmmmm. Meh. Sorta yes. I'm running the mediabridge and for value for dollar it's great.

But the buttons aren't full OEM function at all, and no if you're listening to regular radio and a call comes in you don't get automatic switchover. You have to notice the call, then hit mode to switch over to the MB, then you are more or less in business. For those who RH the MB Sirius integration this is prob not an issue as you stay in MB mode all the time, but for AM/FM listening no the mediabridge is not as slick as the OEM.

Still costs a shizzload less though esp if you don't have any OEM phone parts. And it has USB and Aux and Sirius integration all of which you dont get with the OEM BT module.

I'm ok w the compromises although suddenly thinking for the first time of going Sirius purely for the factor above...
Mmmmm not quite. If you have a TCU it's great. W/o a core that's another $200. Cha-ching.

I think both are compelling solutions though depending on what you want to do, and what phone and car equipment you are starting with. Mediabridge does more extra stuff including charging the phone and is "more up to date", but OEM def has better integration of the core features like multi function buttons and terrestrial radio integration.
The price point is close to the same once you add in the DSP adapter.

Not looking to change my setup but every few years I do look at the new gear out there.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.