BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, need some help with a Bluetooth issue.

I purchased a 2007 335i with factory navigation recently and can not get Bluetooth to enable on the iDrive menu. When I attempt to "click" the box to enable it simply won't

I've been reading/searching and it seems to be related to the TCU, however, before ordering one I am confused on what's happening. I have the SOS button in my car, but when I start up it says SOS Failure each time (again, common from my reading to a bad TCU).

When I pulled the TCU in the car it appears to have been replaced before, and from what I can gather (please correct me if I'm wrong -- I very well maybe) the previous owner purchased the wrong TCU as I don't believe this one has Bluetooth on it. I also found a plug wrapped in tape not connected to the TCU, when I remove the tape from this it's just a connector with a "loop wire". Should this not be plugged into the TCU?

End of the day, my Navigation, Sirius XM, and radio all work fine but no bluetooth hands free calling which is what I'm after.

Can anyone get my up to speed on what might be going on here and what replacement part I need to order? I would not mind having SOS back on, even willing to pay BMW for the service but it's not a deal breaker, more concerned with bluetooth calling.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Look up your factory options, you need to have this option
S639A Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USACDN

SOS in the E9n is simply not supported because the necessary mobile telephone protocol is no longer supported by any mobile carriers in their cellular tower networks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look up your factory options, you need to have this option
S639A Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USACDN
I do indeed have that option.

I still believe the TCU has been replaced and it's not the correct TCU for my car?

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Looks like the previous owner made a makeshift loop back connector for the MOST bus connection to eliminate the TCU from the MOST loop (due to failure).

If you buy a new or used TCU, it will have to be coded into the car and the VIN must also be written to the TCU to work properly.

Before buying any new hardware, I could reconnect the original TCU and attempt to code out the BMW Assist portion by adding +TELD to the VO and defaulting the car. At the very least, the TCU, CCC/CIC, KOMBI, and FRM/CAS modules must be defaulted.

The BMW Assist portion of the TCU often fails and causes issues but you can sometimes code it off as mentioned above so Bluetooth remains active. I've coded me car back in 2010 for this issue and Bluetooth still works today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the previous owner made a makeshift loop back connector for the MOST bus connection to eliminate the TCU from the MOST loop (due to failure).
That makes sense now. I plugged the MOST connector into the TCU last night and I loose all audio (radio, chimes, etc). Once uplugged and back into the loop it all comes back. I assume this is a 100% indication of a bad/failed TCU.

If you buy a new or used TCU, it will have to be coded into the car and the VIN must also be written to the TCU to work properly.

Before buying any new hardware, I could reconnect the original TCU and attempt to code out the BMW Assist portion by adding +TELD to the VO and defaulting the car. At the very least, the TCU, CCC/CIC, KOMBI, and FRM/CAS modules must be defaulted.
So any replacement has to be coded to the car even if it was a factory installed option? Will I need a full cable/software or would Carly work for this?

I've coded my previous MINI F56 using the cable and software (PSDZData and E-Sys) but not an Exx series car (don't have the cable/software for it)

Thanks to everyone for the help so far, much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts