BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2007 328xi. It has the "professional" stock sound system and controls for phone on the wheel. It doesn't seem to have Bluetooth at all though, basically nothing happens if I hold down the phone button.

Is it a good assumption that I can just purchase the BT module off of eBay and plug it in somewhere and be good to go? Or is it more involved than that?

Thanks!

Chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like the idea of an aftermarket solution like that. I'm finding the non-premium sound kind of lacking and trying to brainstorm ideas about that, so the notion that this product might work with some aftermarket head unit is attractive as well.

Thanks very much!

Chuck

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Have you tried pairing a phone to your car?

The button won't do anything if there is no phone paired.

Go into your device setting on your phone and go into the bluetooth menu. Available bluetooth devices will pop up there.

If there is a button for the phone, I imagine it's bluetooth equipped. There are other multifunction button clusters available from BMW that do not have the phone button so I can't image they would install the button without the functionality.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried pairing a phone to your car?

The button won't do anything if there is no phone paired.

Go into your device setting on your phone and go into the bluetooth menu. Available bluetooth devices will pop up there.

If there is a button for the phone, I imagine it's bluetooth equipped. There are other multifunction button clusters available from BMW that do not have the phone button so I can't image they would install the button without the functionality.
Thanks -- I get no option to pair when my phone is polling for Bluetooth hosts, so I'm assuming there isn't anything there. If I hold that phone button down nothing happens and on the "MENU" button there's no indication of BT option, so that's another indication there is nothing happening there.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
If you have bluetooth phone when you touch menu.

There will be a icon of an old timey phone in the list along
with cd and radio.
If you read the third link down in the list I gave you there is
a pdf document describing the entertainment and shows where
the bluetooth module is in the car.
Also using one of the BMW vin decoders found online will tell you
what options are installed in your car.
Almost all aftermarket head units now have phone and bluetooth music streaming built in.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts

There will be a icon of an old timey phone in the list along
with cd and radio.
If you read the third link down in the list I gave you there is
a pdf document describing the entertainment and shows where
the bluetooth module is in the car.
Also using one of the BMW vin decoders found online will tell you
what options are installed in your car.

If you want to buy an OEM setup it will require some programming
and maybe some hardware.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85149

1 - 9 of 9 Posts