BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bluetooth: steering wheel dialing

942 7
Hi folks. Now I know you can scroll through your phonebook from the steering wheel, but is it possible to dial a number that's not in the phonebook?

I ask only because I've read reports on here that the cell phone turns sluggishly inoperable when it's connected to the car's bluetooth. That seems to raise a problem if I can't therefore dial a number on the phone that's not already in the phonebook. Of course, if I can just do it via the steering wheel controls then all is good.

Any thoughts?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
If you have ULF bluetooth (pre-MY 2004), you have voice recognition in the ULF. One function is voice dialing by number. If you have Assist Bluetooth, you can add a SES module which provides the same function.
thelookingglass said:
Hi folks. Now I know you can scroll through your phonebook from the steering wheel, but is it possible to dial a number that's not in the phonebook?
Only if you have the voice module installed:

You can hold the steering wheel button in until you hear the beep. Then say 'dial number'

"What number?"

'411'

"4 - 1 - 1, continue?"

'Dial'

"Dialing..."

If you have NAV, you can also dial using the nav system (menu > telephone).
Can you be more specific... I have a 2005 330xi manufactured in Dec 2004. I have NAV and Assist. Two buttons on the steering wheel: R/T and the talk/hangup button. I tried holding the talk/hangup button in for a while, but I never got a beep.

I guess the SES module applies to me? Can you explain it or provide a link so I can RTFM?

THanks!
Terry Kennedy said:
If you have ULF bluetooth (pre-MY 2004), you have voice recognition in the ULF. One function is voice dialing by number. If you have Assist Bluetooth, you can add a SES module which provides the same function.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84781&highlight=SES
dmel said:
Can you be more specific... I have a 2005 330xi manufactured in Dec 2004. I have NAV and Assist. Two buttons on the steering wheel: R/T and the talk/hangup button. I tried holding the talk/hangup button in for a while, but I never got a beep.

I guess the SES module applies to me? Can you explain it or provide a link so I can RTFM?

THanks!
Mine says "Please speak the number" instead of "What number" :p ;) :D
KrisL said:
Only if you have the voice module installed:
You can hold the steering wheel button in until you hear the beep. Then say 'dial number'
"What number?"
'411'
"4 - 1 - 1, continue?"
'Dial'
"Dialing..."

If you have NAV, you can also dial using the nav system (menu > telephone).
just bought a 05 330i ZHP. How would I know if I had Blue tooth or not. I do not have BMW assist. Does that mean, tough luck on the blue tooth. I heard a rumor that all 330s manufactured after jan 05 came with blue tooth. I could be wrong.

The dealer told me that I had to have BMW assist to have blue tooth. I just want to confirm with you guys about your expeiences.
... yes.
sunnykk said:
Does that mean, tough luck on the blue tooth.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.