BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bluetooth

1926 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Terry Kennedy
I just purchased a Motorola v710 bluetooth phone to hook up in my '05 X5 4.4i. I read all directions and followed step by step.

Looks like the phone and the X5 paired because in the Motorola phone, under bluetooth settings, I see the BMW letters and the last 5 numbers of the vin.

I tried calling the number 10 times and the phone rang but the X5 didn't do anything. I tried to answer the phone with the speak button on the steering wheel but nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I notice that the phone says "connected" to the BMW and sometimes says "disconnected" for a moment and then reconnects. What does this mean?

Appreciate all who answer. Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I would start with the obvious. Check all connections in the trunk to make sure nothing is loose or disconnected. Check especially your BT antenna connections. Then un-pair and re-pair your phone with the vehicle. Try calling again. If it still doesn't work, try a friend's phone , like a Motorola V600 which is known to work well. This will tell you if it's the phone, the car or the combination. The V710 is known to have issues!
tomsawyer said:
I just purchased a Motorola v710 bluetooth phone to hook up in my '05 X5 4.4i. I read all directions and followed step by step.

Looks like the phone and the X5 paired because in the Motorola phone, under bluetooth settings, I see the BMW letters and the last 5 numbers of the vin.

I tried calling the number 10 times and the phone rang but the X5 didn't do anything. I tried to answer the phone with the speak button on the steering wheel but nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I notice that the phone says "connected" to the BMW and sometimes says "disconnected" for a moment and then reconnects. What does this mean?

Appreciate all who answer. Thanks.
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. A software upgrade (V710 SW 8700_01.40.0R) is now available for the V710 handset only through Verizon Wireless stores. This software makes the handset compatible with the BMW Assist Bluetooth system.

For detailed information about Bluetooth, compatible phones, vehicle information and answers to frequently asked questions please visit our Bluetooth microsite at www.bmwusa.com/bluetooth. If you prefer, you can call us at 800-831-1117, and please mention Reference # 200506700039 so that we can help you more efficiently.
It's my understanding that the VZ V710 only works with the 2005 models. I'm out of luck with my 2004 although I paid for Assist and Bluetooth in ZPP. As an aside, I assume that my V710 will work fine with a snap-in adapter and CPT 9000 antenna?
I seem to be having a problem with the new V710 software and my BMW Bluetooth.
After I performed the software update my V710 constantly displays connected and disconnected.

When I make a call it doesn't function with the vehicle.
But i consistently get bluetooth handset is weak popups on the phone while i'm in a call which disrupts the call on the phone.

My only course of action is to disable bluetooth on the v710 to make a call.

I'm use the 552 ULF on a 2003 X5
I had that even with the original V710 software. Note how vatkens says "This software makes the handset compatible with the BMW Assist Bluetooth system." No mention of the older ULF system. I'm about to cancel my V710 and Verizon service and go with Cingular - I tested a friend's RAZR V3 in my car and it worked perfectly.
batm4n said:
I seem to be having a problem with the new V710 software and my BMW Bluetooth.
After I performed the software update my V710 constantly displays connected and disconnected.

When I make a call it doesn't function with the vehicle.
There is currently a class action suit that was filed against Verizon, with regard to the V710, for false advertising. Verizon had Motorola disable the OPP & OBEX profiles on this phone to force users to transfer ringtones, pictures, etc, by using their pay per play services "Get it Now", and "Pix Service". Even if you get the V710 to pair with your X, the phonebook will NOT transfer, because this requires the OPP (Object Push Profile) to do this, which has been disabled.

I went round and round with Verizon & Motorola regarding this, and finally returned the V710, closed my account at Verizon, and ported out to Cingular, buying the Motorola V551. The V551 works flawlessly with my '05 X5. The Razr V3 also works as advertised.

If you want more info on the crippled V710, go to http://www.v710.org
Terry Kennedy said:
I had that even with the original V710 software. Note how vatkens says "This software makes the handset compatible with the BMW Assist Bluetooth system." No mention of the older ULF system. I'm about to cancel my V710 and Verizon service and go with Cingular - I tested a friend's RAZR V3 in my car and it worked perfectly.
Here's the reply I received from BMW Customer Relations.

So there's a difference between ULF's and built in bluetooth on 2005's????

The recent software update to version 8700_01.40.OR was designed to offer compatibility between the V710 and the factory installed BMW Bluetooth system, which is different than the dealer installed ULF version.
The phonebook does transfer with new software on the 710 and my 05 X5.
I'm quite familiar with the lawsuit, actually (I posted about it here in the past).

The updated firmware does enable phonebook transfer with some cars (including the Bluetooth+Assist BMWs, apparently). The issue with the ULF and disconnect/reconnect is a protocol problem at a lower level - probably a problem in the phone software, but it could be in the ULF. [The Bluetooth+Assist box is by Motorola, the ULF is by Visteon].

As far as the class action issues, I don't really care about the picture / ringtone / etc. being copyable over Bluetooth (I have both a Bluetooth adapter and a USB cable for the V710 on my PC). But I do object to Motorola and Verizon claiming it works with car kits when it doesn't.
Coffeeman said:
There is currently a class action suit that was filed against Verizon, with regard to the V710, for false advertising. Verizon had Motorola disable the OPP & OBEX profiles on this phone to force users to transfer ringtones, pictures, etc, by using their pay per play services "Get it Now", and "Pix Service". Even if you get the V710 to pair with your X, the phonebook will NOT transfer, because this requires the OPP (Object Push Profile) to do this, which has been disabled.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.