BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2000 528i with 80000 miles. What should I immediately change or replace to make sure my car is mechanically sound. (Such as belts, fluids etc.) Thanks for any info.

·
e39 m5 touring aspirant
1,725 Posts
check the cooling system... whats the last 7 of ur vin? i can do a search for its vehicle history at the dealership.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Get the maintenance records and go from there. When I bought mine, I took it in for a complete fluid/filter change, replaced the igniters and plugs, a diagnostic check and just to get the mechanic's opinion. Love my 2000 528i, hope you end up feeling the same about yours. How about some pictures???

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same boat, just got my 528i and am going the DIY route replaced hoses, thermostat, brake fluid housing. I'll replace plugs and MAF next week and take it to a dealer for diagnostics, maybe buy a diag tool I saw someone recommend. The car is in great condition in appearance (Titansilber) and needs an allignment. This is my first bimmer and I can't believe how much I love it!

·
Registered
697 Posts
First thing I did with my 528i (107K miles) was replace all cooling components, hoses, water pump, radiator, pulleys. While in there why not.

Next oil/filter.

Then spark plugs, air filter, and wiper blades.

Next up, fuel filter and manual trans fluid.

·
Migrated to the X5 SAV
899 Posts
An easy quick fix is changing out the 2 cabin air filters.

High speed wheel balance & rotate.

Getting an alignment is good too.

How many green LED's do you get on start up? Might be a good time for an oil change.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a 2000 528i. I have 153k miles on it. My cooling system is completely original.
Just throwing that in the mosh pit. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

·
Registered
697 Posts
If it ain't broke, you haven't looked hard enough.

I replaced mine reading all about the ones that have gone bad. You don't what to be stranded or end up with a warped head. But it's up to you. Perhaps it'll last 200K, maybe not.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As I was doing my search for my recently acquired 2000 528i I had gotten the same advice over and over from independent mechanics and reputable used car dealers - The front bushings ALWAYS need replacing whenever they see a car of this vintage (7 years old, 100k mileage). Probably makes all the difference from a drivability point of view.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 2000 528i. I have 153k miles on it. My cooling system is completely original.
Just throwing that in the mosh pit. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
You must have installed one heck of a rabbit's foot! With seven years and that kind of mileage it's only a matter of time for part of your cooling system to give up the ghost.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You must have installed one heck of a rabbit's foot! With seven years and that kind of mileage it's only a matter of time for part of your cooling system to give up the ghost.
That's what I hear...hehe.... I had a scare last week when my temp went above the 12 o'clock position when idling without A/C. I did some searching on the forums and just added some coolant and all is well again. I will be doing a flush on it soon. I inspected for any leaks and found none so I wonder how my coolant got a little low. Maybe 60k miles will do that? Who knows. :dunno:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts