BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there

Sorry for long story but I have a massive issue with my BMW with battling a bad smell, which appears to be coming in through the vents.
(Sorry the smell is too hard to describe but it is quite awful. It appears to be worse the higher i have the heating setting)

I had an oil leak recently in the oil filter housing where the person who changed my oil filter cracked the housing.

Since then, I had the oil leak fixed with new filter and housing and I have had the engine bay professionally cleaned - Looks mint!

However, a few days after we have had this bad smell ever since. (3 weeks now)

I have tried everything - looked everywhere in engine bay - looks sweet. Exhaust looks fine, no bad smoke or anything, engine is quiet, oil level is fine. I have tried anti-bacterial and anti-fungi sprays in the vents and changed the cabin filter etc but it still persists! I've checked underneath the car and everywhere but there isn't anything odd or out of place or any sight of oil. Oil level is the same as when it was after the leak was fixed a couple months back. I am really stuck now with what to do - feel like i've tried and checked everything that i'm capable of.

Someone has recommended getting my air con recharged. But this goes against what I was always told - if i leave my air con on, the car is like entering a fridge as my air-con works so well, surely a re-charge is when it isn't putting out cold air?

Any ideas what I can check/do?

EDIT: Sorry it's an E90 - 2008.

Cheers
Jed

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would say post a video, but Bimmerfest's Smell-o-Vision is down pending a patch to the forum software. Best bet is to have a knowledgeable friend or shop tech take a whiff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
sounds to be your heater box is the issue
Evaporators r known to leak on e90s models
The refrigerant that just sits there for long period time near heater core just make a funky unpleasant smell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts