BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bmw 323i E46 1999 Limp Mode

7103 Views 20 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  SouthwestBeemer
I have a problem with my 323i it stalled at a roundabout after coming off a bypass, I try'd to re-start the engine but it wouldn't turn over and after a couple of time's of trying I noticed a burning smell and white smoke coming from under bonnet. Ive taken it to a garage and thought it was a head gasket problem but mechanic say's that if it was just a head gasket the engine would still turn over. is this right?
And also he said the spark plugs were wet and that the engine is fry'd so id need to find a new engine or scarp the car.:bawling: Any advice please???
New to the world of motoring new to driving and know nothing about cars, so any help appreciated. Many thanks
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Your mechanic is an idiot. Classic symptoms of a failed CVV (oil separator aka PCV valve). When it fails it will blow out your valve cover gasket (NOT HEAD GASKET) and let oil into the cylinders which is why the plugs are wet. Replace the plugs, replace the CVV and move along. $300 in parts max.

And what do you mean the engine won't turn over? Are you sure it was in P or N when you tried? Is the starter good?
I have a problem with my 323i it stalled at a roundabout after coming off a bypass, I try'd to re-start the engine but it wouldn't turn over and after a couple of time's of trying I noticed a burning smell and white smoke coming from under bonnet. Ive taken it to a garage and thought it was a head gasket problem but mechanic say's that if it was just a head gasket the engine would still turn over. is this right?
And also he said the spark plugs were wet and that the engine is fry'd so id need to find a new engine or scarp the car.:bawling: Any advice please???
New to the world of motoring new to driving and know nothing about cars, so any help appreciated. Many thanks
Mechanic says all 6 cylinders are blown hence why its not turning over, and its a manual not automatic. He has also pointed out that the main cylinder block is cracked due to corrosion over a long period of time due to an over heating problem that the car has had for a long time. Ive only had the car 12 days so was not aware of any problem with over heating as when i bought the car, I was told that the car has never had any issues with over heating.
Mechanic says that he has found a brown slude in the oil which he thinks is K-seal, a sealant used to repair the cooling system.
Yeah we need to find out about the "wont turn over" definition here. Theres a lot of smoke and bad odors involved trying to turn over a locked up motor :)
So when you turn the key is the motor spinning? Or is there just a loud click or thud kind of sound and nothing else?
Check the coolant. Is there any "sludge" in it? Is it milky?
Shows he's logged in but no answer to my question yet. If the motors locked up its toast but need to find that out first.
Yes its Spinning just not starting up.
Didn't mention in my earlier post but the Engine management light is comes on.
So when you turn the key is the motor spinning? Or is there just a loud click or thud kind of sound and nothing else?
Mechanic poor'd in 7 liters of water and its all drained straight back out?
Check the coolant. Is there any "sludge" in it? Is it milky?
Ok at this point if I suspected someone had added some sealant to it I would give it a compression test. I think your mechanic is full of it personally. Bet he's willing to take it off your hands cheap to help you out......

Get it to another shop is my suggestion. You need to get the codes pulled and I imagine it will be a sensor thats showing code wise.

The sensor Im betting it will have the code for is what fires the spark plugs which is why the plugs are "wet" and its not cranking.
Ok if its leaking water like the titanic that would make it overheat which you said it didnt do. Did it over heat or not?
Mechanic poor'd in 7 liters of water and its all drained straight back out?
Not in the 12 days I had it, it didn't, the temp gauge never moved from center, checked it as soon as the car stalled and it was down to cold not hot.
Ok if its leaking water like the titanic that would make it overheat which you said it didnt do. Did it over heat or not?
Now I don't know what to do, What sort of questions should I ask the mechanic to find out if what he is saying is true or not?
If water is leaking out then something ruptured. Expansion tank, water hose, massive hole in the side of the motor, etc.

Need to know whats going on with that first.

Next once you have that handled it takes compression, fuel, air and spark to run the engine. Wet plugs sounds like its not firing but if theres not compression it wont fire either at least not enough to keep the plugs dry.

So you test to see what the compression is on each cylinder. If the compressions down then its either rings, valve or holes in the pistons.

To be honest with how it quit Id bet it its not firing. But the water issues sounds strange and would cause it to overheat. This is hard to do remotely like this.

First step really should be to find out what codes it has and then go from there. But the water issue will have to be handled like I mentioned. Ask the mechanic what codes are in the computer.
Mechanic says all 6 cylinders are blown hence why its not turning over
Yes its Spinning just not starting up.
Didn't mention in my earlier post but the Engine management light is comes on.
Well, which one is it?
Thank you all for your info, like I said I know nothing about cars but you have all given me some useful information. I am going to seek a second opinion from a different garage with all your information in mind and see where i go from there. Thank you all once again.
I was told its the expansion tank.
If water is leaking out then something ruptured. Expansion tank, water hose, massive hole in the side of the motor, etc.

Need to know whats going on with that first.

Next once you have that handled it takes compression, fuel, air and spark to run the engine. Wet plugs sounds like its not firing but if theres not compression it wont fire either at least not enough to keep the plugs dry.

So you test to see what the compression is on each cylinder. If the compressions down then its either rings, valve or holes in the pistons.

To be honest with how it quit Id bet it its not firing. But the water issues sounds strange and would cause it to overheat. This is hard to do remotely like this.

First step really should be to find out what codes it has and then go from there. But the water issue will have to be handled like I mentioned. Ask the mechanic what codes are in the computer.
Well let us know what the 2nd opinion mechanic finds.
Cheers will do!
Just thought id let you all know, it is confirmed that the engine has had at it! All six cylinders are blown!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.