BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Recently I replaced my alternator. I have the 325i with the fan clutch. Following replacing the alternator I have been constantly losing coolant when I drive. At first I thought the upper radiator hose was loose or damaged so I replaced that. Well yesterday I was driving and after 7 min the temperature gauge went all the way into the red and started to glow, so i shut the car off and waited about 15 min to drive back home. In the way home the gauge would occasionally glow and then drop back down. When i finally made it back home, about a 7 min drive, there was white smoke coming from under the hood. It was night so I parked and left the car. Any ideas what my problem is? This didnt start until I replaced the alternator which required me to remove the upper and lower hose as well as the fan clutch to the water pump. HELP

·
Keeping it surreal
43,184 Posts
The absolute worst thing to happen to a BMW (besides being crashed) is to have it overheat. It only takes ONE episode of overheating to cause major (and sometimes fatal) engine damage. The white smoke is a bad sign, typically indicating a blown head gasket, cracked or warped head or block. Have a compression/leakdown test performed, that will give a more definitive idea of what`s going on in there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nooooooooooooooo. Theres no smoke out of the tail pipe. I pray its not a gasket. Any other suggestions

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
What Fastbob said. Cooling system pressure test minimally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do everything suggested, but Im curious. If I undertightened or overtightened the fan clutch in the front of the water pump or perhaps overtightened the belt could it cause what i am describing? I need to find out where the coolant is coming from. Its not boiling out of the reservoir its gotta be a hose I cant see or water pump and its hitting the engine which is hot, causing the white smoke. That much im sure of.... as I said, this didnt happen until I replaced the alternator which required me to remove the fan clutch

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
And for others reading here: once your coolant temperature gauge pins, do not drive the car another hundred feet unless you don't mind losing your engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2002 e46 just overheated, and when i try to pour coolant in it just leaks right out and fast too. But before that happened it started making noises like the fan or belt. And suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive only seen it the temp guage go in the red that one time and there was no smoke coming out the tailpipe

·
Registered
635 Posts
As noted above, overheats in these cars are bad. If coolant is running out as quickly as you pour it, then you have a large and hopefully obvious leak...Have a good look to see where it is leaking.

1. Find and Fix leak
2. see if car runs
3. If it does, do a compression test, or have one done to confirm you have not blown a head gasket or warped a head.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am aware the OP is probably long gone...we don't need him anyway...I was responding to Ken272 who probably should have started a new thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts