BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....
I just found this forum online, and am eager to ask questions and act like a complete newb for a bit....
So I am planning to get a car this week or the next, and am trying to decide between the 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro and the 2006 BMW 325i.
I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and we get our share of snow and IMHO have terrible roads (potholed, and slopes up and down).

First question:- I know this is a BMW forum and all, but simply put, if I stick with the all-season tires on both cars, would anyone have local/regional experience of driving a RWD/AWD car in the winter? Which would you recommend? (switiching to snows is not an option, as I do not have a place to store the tires).

Second:- My aim is to get either car for as close to, preferebly less tha, $35000.
I have been offered $36,794 for a 2006 BMW 325i with the following options:-
Jet Black
Automatic
Premium Package
Cold Package
Park Distance Control
iDrive Navigation

for the audi it is as follows:-
New Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic
WPX Premium Package
PND Audio Navigation Plus
PX3 Lighting Package
PSR Audio Package (Sirius) or (XM) <- I don't really care right now as
to which one...
PRV 17" Alloy Wheels with All Season Tires
4X4 Rear Side Airbags
8X1 Headlight Washer
Parktronic Sensors
Bluetooth Connectivity

Right now I am being quoted near 38000 but I havent negotiated the price like I have done with the BMW yet.

So my question was, specifically for the BMW, are there any options that you think I should get rid off? Is leatherette really THAT good that its beeen mistaken for leather??
Also, do you feel I am being quoted a good price for the BMW?
Finally, is it really a wise decision to go with the BMW??

·
Registered
712 Posts
Stick with the BMW and stick with leather. You seem to have made good choices as far as packages go based on where you live. Don't get me wrong, the Audi is nice, but it really isn't in the same league as the BMW. Drive both cars and figure out which one youuu like better.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
saury316 said:
Hey guys....

Right now I am being quoted near 38000 but I havent negotiated the price like I have done with the BMW yet.
Just curious... You were able to negotiate down the BMW? I kinda figured they'd still be mostly going for MSRP at this point.

As to your question, I agree you should drive both. I have driven neither of the 2006 offerings, but have driven both of their predecessors (Audi 1.8 T with CVT and of course my own e46 325i manual RWD). If the comparison is similar, BMW wins hands-down from a performance standpoint.

They both look to be nice cars though, you couldn't go too far wrong either way. :)

·
2011 335is on order
79 Posts
Rob325_in_AZ said:
Just curious... You were able to negotiate down the BMW? I kinda figured they'd still be mostly going for MSRP at this point.

As to your question, I agree you should drive both. I have driven neither of the 2006 offerings, but have driven both of their predecessors (Audi 1.8 T with CVT and of course my own e46 325i manual RWD). If the comparison is similar, BMW wins hands-down from a performance standpoint.

They both look to be nice cars though, you couldn't go too far wrong either way. :)
You can buy e90 325i or 330i for about $1000~$1500 over invoice.
How do I know? I ordered my 325i for $1100 over invoice and my boss just bought 330i at $1000 over invoice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was almost on the same boat, but driving the 3 and the Audi back to back, I realized how much more of a BMW guy I really am. :) The Audi might have a nice interior, but the 3 definitely was much more of "driver's car" I know the term is pretty worn out, but I think it's the simplest way to put it. Now I've only driven the 330, so maybe it's not apples, to apples.

As far as negotiation, you should be able to get pretty much down close to invoice on the A4, as that's what they've been throwing at me, optioned pretty much like you have except with the sport package and manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
egtlover74 said:
You can buy e90 325i or 330i for about $1000~$1500 over invoice.
How do I know? I ordered my 325i for $1100 over invoice and my boss just bought 330i at $1000 over invoice.
Really? Heck, that's as good as I did on my 2003 (and I had to go back and forth between three dealers for that).

Were these numbers for ED?

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Rob325_in_AZ said:
Really? Heck, that's as good as I did on my 2003 (and I had to go back and forth between three dealers for that).

Were these numbers for ED?
No, man. ED people are getting 1k over ED invoice, not dealer invoice.

If my dealer is down in the $400 range when I start looking into purchase maybe I'll avoid ED. Doubt it though...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys....thanks for all the replies.
I have scheduled test drives with a dealer for both cars. However, the thing is that none of the dealers around pittsburgh (and I am talking about a 25 mile radius) ahve either car with navigation and the transmission I want.
The only work around I have found so far is to test drive the 5 series with navigation for a feel on the iDrive and then test drive the 3 w/o navigation for a feel of the car. Is that a good idea??
FOr the Audi, the dealer has kindly contacted a clinet of his who both the A4 with navigation, and she is willing to give me a ride in it, and then I can acutally test drive the A$, again w/o navi.

Back to my question, are there any people with expereinces of driving their 3 (this or the E46) in the snow, or in the winter in the Pittsburgh area (even better)? How about the Audi?

Also, so I should go for the premium w/leather??

·
Registered
21 Posts
saury316 said:
Hey guys....
I just found this forum online, and am eager to ask questions and act like a complete newb for a bit....
So I am planning to get a car this week or the next, and am trying to decide between the 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro and the 2006 BMW 325i.
I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and we get our share of snow and IMHO have terrible roads (potholed, and slopes up and down).

First question:- I know this is a BMW forum and all, but simply put, if I stick with the all-season tires on both cars, would anyone have local/regional experience of driving a RWD/AWD car in the winter? Which would you recommend? (switiching to snows is not an option, as I do not have a place to store the tires).
How is NOT getting snow tires an option? Both cars you're looking at are performance cars, which means you want well-performing tires, which means these tires will offer close to zero traction in snow (all-seasons will not get you good snow performance either, and you'll end up with mediocre summer performance). Driving an expensive car like an Audi or BMW in snow without snow tires there is just too great a risk that your day will end in tears. Do you really want to see your nice new piece of German engineering on the back of a tow-truck next snow storm?

Most places that sell tires also offer storage, sometimes even for free. Or find a friend with some extra garage space to store the tires for you. And remember you're prolonging the life of your summer tires this way, so the cost isn't that high.

-Tim

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,639 Posts
saury316 said:
...Back to my question, are there any people with expereinces of driving their 3 (this or the E46) in the snow, or in the winter in the Pittsburgh area (even better)? How about the Audi?

Also, so I should go for the premium w/leather??
If you go with the Bimmer, I would recommend winter tires. I don't think 4 seasons will cut it. I would recommend winter tires for the A4 as well. Marketing aside, traction has less to do with drive configuration, than with the tires. Quattro definately, will not help with stopping!

Ed

·
Registered
50 Posts
Driving the 5 series will give you a good idea of how iDrive works, but the driving style will be a little different.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ed328Ci said:
If you go with the Bimmer, I would recommend winter tires. I don't think 4 seasons will cut it. I would recommend winter tires for the A4 as well. Marketing aside, traction has less to do with drive configuration, than with the tires. Quattro definately, will not help with stopping!

Ed
I agree entirely! A couple of years ago Tirerack tested FWD, RWD and AWD cars with all-season tires and snow tires. Their findings were that FWD and RWD cars with snow tires handily outperformed AWD cars with all-season tires in the snow, and that AWD cars with snow tires outperformed FWD and RWD with snow-tires in the snow. The latter is hardly revelatory, but what is is that the presence of snow tires was far more important for snow traction than AWD.

So, to echo other people's comments: go for snow tires if you live in a region that has a significant amount of snow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys....snow tires werent option simply because I have no place to store them. I will be parking most likely on the street or in a lot/multi-story garage.
Also, if anyone is familiar with Pittsburgh, we have really huge swings in weather (it was 90 in mid-April and then snowed near the end of april. I have heard that using snow tires in warm weather is really bad as well....if any one familiar with Pittsburgh weather can tell me what they do that would be really great!

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
Welcome fellow Pittsburgher!!

Your answer is very very simple.

Since snow tires are not an option, DO NOT GET THE BMW.

Without a set of dedicated snows, you will get nowhere fast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi apline.....wow thats quite disappointing...i was hoping the all-seasons would help a bit.
So I am assuming you got snow tires....for example this year...when did u put them on and take them off?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say "don't get it" - good all-season tires make it possible to drive on snow and in slushy conditions. While PA may have snow, how often do you have to drive on snow-covered roads? Can you wait for them to be plowed?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
batmanwagon said:
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say "don't get it" - good all-season tires make it possible to drive on snow and in slushy conditions. While PA may have snow, how often do you have to drive on snow-covered roads? Can you wait for them to be plowed?
Most roads that I have seen in Pittsburgh are slush...there has been quite a bit of slush at times....
on a few rare occasions the road has yet to be plowed (as far as I have seen...)
what i wanted to know is that are the all-season run flats bmw gives good enough...as you suggest?

·
Registered
322 Posts
saury316 said:
Thanks guys....snow tires werent option simply because I have no place to store them.
Talk to your dealer or sales advisor. Maybe they offer a tire storage service. My dealer up in MA did and it worked out nicely. Much cheaper than renting a small storage locker.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
If you're willing to wait a little bit, you could buy an AWD e90-- I think they'll be available in the fall. I think that's what I would do in your situation. I really like the smoothness and sound of BMW's inline 6 vs Audi's 4 cylinder. And, I prefer the balance that comes with a RWD-based platform. The Audi has most of its weight hung out front, and I just don't like the feel of that. I also think that hte e90 looks better than the Re-designed A4 w/ its awkward front grille.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts