Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to buy an upgraded suspension, and carbon fiber hood,roof and trunk. How much weight would i lose? And what are other ways i can reduce the weight.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Simple............
get rid of that air-conditioner, that is a biggy. Need to get a set of light weight wheels. Check what springs they put in there, probably can get ones that weigh half as much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Get coilovers, better tires Pilot super sport, or if you want all season Pilot Sport A/S 3's , and someother suspension bits stiffer sway bars or whatever. Probably be the best way.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If I were to buy an upgraded suspension, and carbon fiber hood,roof and trunk. How much weight would i lose? And what are other ways i can reduce the weight.
Replacing the wheels and tires with lighter ones will not save a LOT of weight, but you will get a performance increase, since you are reducing rotational and unsprung weight. You could get fairly good "bang for the buck", with the right wheels and non-runflat tires.

Replacing suspension parts could save a bit of unsprung weight, but I think the gains will be modest.

Replacing the hood and trunk with carbon fiber parts will save a few pounds each. Is it worth the cost? That is a decision only you can make for your car.

Replacing the roof with a carbon fiber one could yield major weight savings, but this will be a complex and expensive project. Removing the sunroof (assuming your car is equipped) will be the major weight saving; estimated to be 50 to 75 pounds, including all of the hardware. This will require cutting out your entire roof section (including sunroof and components), and bonding in the replacement carbon fiber roof panel. Obviously, a new headliner (non-sunroof) will be required. I am guessing this project would cost around $3k, but it would yield good weight savings, and slightly lower the center of gravity for your car. This is an undertaking for professionals only.

:drive:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Unless you are preparing this car for the track and life on a trailer then I wouldn't spend the money. The show versus go critics will have a field day when the car is on the street.

Making the car lighter for fuel economy is another matter that makes more sense as it has a daily impact. Performance mods don't help when the guy beside or behind you has more skill and takes more risk to win. Pushing limits like that on the street is not a good idea, in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts