BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi can anyone help me please when i change from electric to petrol it jolts the car and is no longer a smooth transition
sorry its when I'm driving along thanks for any advice

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
hi can anyone help me please when i change from electric to petrol it jolts the car and is no longer a smooth transition
sorry its when I'm driving along thanks for any advice
I think you may have something wrong and if it is under warranty, take it in (but see the last part of my post here). I have a 2018 530e where the engine, motor and transmission are essentially the same and the transition is so smooth that I often don't even know that the ICE has started up. One of the reasons I went to the Alpina display was that it showed me a tach and I could tell that the ICE had started and how many RPMs it was running when it did start. I just got my car back from the dealership and they did a software update which killed all my codings. I used Bimmercode to code the car to start in adaptive mode and to make the ACC default to closest. I will probably also use Bimmercode to change to the Alpina display again but I am waiting a bit to see how the regular display works.

One thought...it may be your transmission settings and/or the way you drive. Unless you are driving above 88 MPH the engine cutting in means you stepped on the accelerator reasonably hard so you probably downshifted.

Try driving the car in battery save mode and deplete your battery and drive the same way and see if you feel the same jolt. If so, it is the transmission downshifting. Then the question becomes whether yours is doing so normally or is not working properly. Note that BMW put the electric motor in the transmission to replace the torque converter.

Normally BMW transmissions are very smooth and I don't get a jolt but we are all different and what you call a jolt may be what I call a downshift.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts