BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Very strange issue.
My E92 330i (N53) is making a strange whistle noise when idle, which is quite unstable (yoyo style) otherwise the car is working fine during accelerations (from low to 7000tpm).

As you can see, the oil cap is really hard to pull on idle in warm condition (it does the same sometime on cold engine). The vacuum is really strong and you can hear the air being aspirating non-stop by the valve on top of the crankbox. When i block the valves air entry, i can still hear a high pitched whislte but can't tell where it's coming from...

I've recently replaced all the sparks, and 1 coil that wasn't looking good.
Since the whistle noise appeared a week ago, i've got various codes for lean condition and nox sensor issue.

I believe my issue is coming from the big round seal insite the valve. I'll open it next week-end.
What do you think ?
Here is a video to help you understand the issue :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f22aPacKRI

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, i just check one of the two Disa (the other one is behind the intake manifold...
It seems in good shape.
My air filter looked like crap, will replace it.
The air pipes look good, no cracks and all...
Next step, check the CCV valve (which is sticked on this engine... awesome...).
What else should i check?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Not sure if the N53 has the diaphram in the valve cover but on N52 motors, it can collapse and cause vacuum issue and a high pitched whistle sound. Need to replace valve cover to fix

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if the N53 has the diaphram in the valve cover but on N52 motors, it can collapse and cause vacuum issue and a high pitched whistle sound. Need to replace valve cover to fix
N53 has one too, it's just that the ccv valve is glued to the crankcase cover, which is 350€ here in france...

I've found this alternative, if my valve is in bad shape i think i'll give it a try...
https://vanos-bmw.com/valve-cover-n51-n52-n52n-bmw-11127552281
What do you think?

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Good for you! Thanks for the update. I've seen that replacement kit before but have never used it nor knew anyone that did. We typically replace the valve covers since they are warrantied for 2 years and we warranty labor for 1 year

1 - 8 of 8 Posts