BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took delivery of my car my expectations of the sound system was very low from previous experiences however I was very pleasantly surprised with the sound. Elated in fact. This system is a huge upgrade from my 2002 3 series. Not audiophile quality but I will no longer need to apologize to passengers for the poor audio and gripe to them about BMW audio. Still lots of complaints about BMW audio on the boards, but for newbies reading all the posts and freaking out to all the little nit picky things...there is probably one less issue to worry too much about. My 16 year old with 4k of aftermarket audio stuff in his car was even impressed. But he still says I need 2 16" of bump in the trunk...NOT!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Good to hear. The basic system in the 3 really sucks. I can't wait to get my 5 with the upgraded sound system. Anything has to be better than this one!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Being an audiophile myself, I'm reasonably happy with the standard audio in my wife's '08 325i, but totally disappointed by the audio in my brother's new '11 520d (just arrived).
So I guess year-of-manufacture might be an issue, since others here are underwhelmed by the 3-series sound system? My father bought a '11 523i last year (note; these are european engine models, probably not available in the US? but other specs are similar to US models as far as I know) which seemingly has notably better sound quality from the standard audio than the few months newer 520d. Weird.

Anyway, when switching from my current '04 525i to my ordered '11 535i xDrive I made sure to order the Dirac sound system, with the Eton loudspeakers. Have heard it in a demo car, and it sounded magnificant! A huge upgrade indeed from the standard anyway, and really priceworthy too imo. Best quality audio with the surround-funtion turned off though.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,845 Posts
Good to hear. The basic system in the 3 really sucks. I can't wait to get my 5 with the upgraded sound system. Anything has to be better than this one!
The HK Logic 7 upgrade for the 3 was pretty good, IMO. It was standard in '08 when I bought my 335i but understand it became optional. Never standard on the 328i, so I guess yours doesn't have it?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The HK Logic 7 upgrade for the 3 was pretty good, IMO. It was standard in '08 when I bought my 335i but understand it became optional. Never standard on the 328i, so I guess yours doesn't have it?
No and we would have paid extra for an upgraded stereo at the time too. Oh well, I have about 3-4 weeks left in the car now so I think I can manage to live with itl

·
Registered
292 Posts
I listen to Jazz, Classical and some 50"s stuff and have been very happy with the stock sound on my 535. Of course I am older than most of you. I find the system to be much better than some custom systems from a few years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts