BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I own a second hand 98 BMW 528i now and it's milage is about 116000miles. I am thinking about doing some mods to it but does it worth?? What is a usual lifetime of a 528i?? I know that lexus and toyata are longlife cars, they can run til 200000 miles or more before the engine broken.

What do you guys think? Should I sell this BMW and get a newer one ?? I am just a college student so my budget is tight. Or should I keep driving my current 528i and install mods on it?? In fact, I love my 528i and it never gives me any problem! But I would like a 530i or 540i for more fun but I am afraid that they are not as reliable!

What do you guys think?? :)

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
Search this forum for a fellow by the name of netjazz, his 528i lasted 300K when he sold it. And the engine was still running fine.
Properly maintained bmw lasts a long time than the Japanese sh*t.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hi guys, I own a second hand 98 BMW 528i now and it's milage is about 116000miles. I am thinking about doing some mods to it but does it worth?? What is a usual lifetime of a 528i?? I know that lexus and toyata are longlife cars, they can run til 200000 miles or more before the engine broken.
Where did you hear that?

BTW, for comparison, how long do you think a BMW will last?

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
If you are interested in longevity, change all your fluids regularly, and don't drive every minute like you're racing***8230;

There's various mods that can be done, but I personally would stay away from turbos/superchargers/other performance mods if you want to get mileage out of it. Nothing wrong with suspension/brakes and that sort of thing, imo. Of course, to each his own***8230;I'm not hugely into particularly noticeable mods.

And, if you're thinking about swapping out the stock air filter for high flow, read this (clicky).

·
Registered
750 Posts
in most cases, changing the oem look into modded look will depreciate the car. unless the mods are what you really want to see, don't do it.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
in most cases, changing the oem look into modded look will depreciate the car. unless the mods are what you really want to see, don't do it.
To me, mods indicate the car has been driven hard and probably not been cared for properly. I have personal experience in this area (the driving hard/not caring/modding).

If you're planning on driving the car into the dirt, go for it…

·
Boost addict
244 Posts
If you are interested in longevity, change all your fluids regularly, and don't drive every minute like you're racing***8230;..

There's various mods that can be done, but I personally would stay away from turbos/superchargers/other performance mods if you want to get mileage out of it. Nothing wrong with suspension/brakes and that sort of thing, imo. Of course, to each his own***8230;..I'm not hugely into particularly noticeable mods.

And, if you're thinking about swapping out the stock air filter for high flow, read this (clicky).
I disagree. Having owned both cars with built motors and cars with stock motors with forced induction, there is a big difference. Having studied how forced induction affects engines in engineering school, there is a major advantage to running boost. I am part of another german car forum where people with stock engines, 200k and more on their cars with original engines are running boost with no problems whatsoever. The only precautions they took were to do a health check of the engine (compression, proper fuel delivery ratios, good spark, no codes) before installing the kit and to make sure any issues are sorted out before the install.

Its best to switch over to a more robust engine oil, tranny fluid and gear oil like Amsoil because it does not lose its viscocity under more stressful applications, and keeps the engine from showing any additional wear. I have been using it for several years and it greatly outperforms other walmart bought synthetics.

Forced induction is alot easier on your engine than other internal engine mods. Why? Because your engine is running around at stock parameters and stress levels unless you really get into the gas pedal hard. The turbo will not even come online unless you are racing it. The problem with internal mods like camshafts and higher compression pistons is that the engine has to suffer through that abuse 24/7.

A bmw with low 100k miles is just getting broken in. I have found that with little mods like chips, or air filters, cold air intakes, you wonder if you actually gained anything at all. With boost, there is no mistaking the feeling of an extra 100-250 hp under the hood, depending on how far you want to go.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Search this forum for a fellow by the name of netjazz, his 528i lasted 300K when he sold it. And the engine was still running fine.
Properly maintained bmw lasts a long time than the Japanese sh*t.[/QUOTE]

Amen!:angel:

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I disagree. Having owned both cars with built motors and cars with stock motors with forced induction, there is a big difference. Having studied how forced induction affects engines in engineering school, there is a major advantage to running boost. I am part of another german car forum where people with stock engines, 200k and more on their cars with original engines are running boost with no problems whatsoever. The only precautions they took were to do a health check of the engine (compression, proper fuel delivery ratios, good spark, no codes) before installing the kit and to make sure any issues are sorted out before the install.

Its best to switch over to a more robust engine oil, tranny fluid and gear oil like Amsoil because it does not lose its viscocity under more stressful applications, and keeps the engine from showing any additional wear. I have been using it for several years and it greatly outperforms other walmart bought synthetics.

Forced induction is alot easier on your engine than other internal engine mods. Why? Because your engine is running around at stock parameters and stress levels unless you really get into the gas pedal hard. The turbo will not even come online unless you are racing it. The problem with internal mods like camshafts and higher compression pistons is that the engine has to suffer through that abuse 24/7.

A bmw with low 100k miles is just getting broken in. I have found that with little mods like chips, or air filters, cold air intakes, you wonder if you actually gained anything at all. With boost, there is no mistaking the feeling of an extra 100-250 hp under the hood, depending on how far you want to go.
+1!
Well said!

:)

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Hmmm, good to know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2000 528i 200000mi and the previous owners took very great care of it. I installed an K&N filter after replacing the stock paper and not only did I lose mpg, was getting 28mpg around town in sheridan, wy according to cluster display, to 24 in town. Then I experienced a rev and stall at start up. It'd stay running but every 5sec it would drastically fall and rpms and then recover. I'm considering putting a afe pro-dry filter in but am worried I'll get the same mpg, but hopefully without the erratic revs when warming up with maf cleaner. I'm thinking maybe I should just stick with stock.

More air means more gas to go with it in the combustion chamber and with a more restricted, yet what they put in it originally, I'm thinking a MANN paper, Ill get that lovely 28mpg on 88octane. Any input would be greatful.

·
Under the lift arms
13,263 Posts
this is such a bad comparison.... the vehicles life is dependent totally on the owner and the maintenance routine...

If you buy a car from someone who ran the car low on oil all the time what do you expect to see when u open valve covers

·
Was ist los? Der Hund!
681 Posts
It's not a bad comparison, because it's a general comparison of a vehicle's quality, assuming a good baseline of service. Hey, I know- Try this:

Punctuation and capitalization can change a rambling set of thoughts into one that we all understand! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.