BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BMW 530e inductive charging

BMW is forging ahead with factory equipped inductive charging, a first to my knowledge in the industry. The crucial advantage of inductive power over conventional charging stations is the cable-free connection between the charging station and the vehicle's high-voltage battery.

The inductive charging optional equipment for the G30 530e PHEV is expected to become available in November 2017. BMW will offer two options, a ready to go vehicle with inductive charging (OE 4VC) or inductive charging preparations (EO 4VD). The preparation option will require the inductive pad be mounted later. It will not be possible to retrofit inductive charging to any 530e that does not have the inductive charging preparations from the factory. There is no information on pricing yet, post your guess on costs below.

2018 G30 5 Series Sedan Pricing and Ordering Guides

Inductive charging makes life considerably easier for the driver as there is no need to connect any cables to top up the power reserves. Once the vehicle as been correctly positioned above the primary coil, the driver can simply start the charging process at the push of a button using the vehicle's own operating system. Data is transmitted via a WiFi connection between vehicle and charging station to help the driver with parking.

Read more about BMW's inductive charging

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,598 Posts
I am excited about this. Currently Plugless offers an inductive solution for the i3, but it is aftermarket and pretty new on the market. Nice to see BMW stepping up and making this a factory equipment option!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I hope they offer both, at work we have charging station, but no inductive, would mean I would be out of elec which would defeat the purpose of having one of these cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.