BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I am a long time BMW driver and European enthusiast............So I am about to purchase my daughter her first car and she is asking for a 5 series. What is the reliability of the twin turbo engine in the 5's I know to stay far away from the N20 4cyl turbo. I am making her get a AWD for the Ohio winters.

THANK YOU for any input !!

Brian Felts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have owned my 2014 535i CPO M-Sport for over 4 years now and I have not had one single mechanical problem since I bought it. Of course, I have had routine maintenance performed, and a couple of oil leaks, one of which was covered under a CPO warranty. I did have my coolant tank and engine mounts replaced, which I consider wear and tear items. Other than that, the engine still purrs like new, and the tranny shifts are smooth as silk. I agree you should stay away from the N20. If you can find one, a 2014 or older model year 535i would be your best bet.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
2014 or newer model year 535i, that is. (y)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all, I think I have the only E65 ever that was reliable but I did all maintance on it on time so I hope to do the same for my daughter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 2011 535iX with 92k. Beside regular maintenance, my only failure was water pump at 87k.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My 2013 535xi has been great. I've owned it for 4 1/2 years and the only issues that I've had are the always present OFHG and valve cover leaks. I've changed the plugs, tranny and transfer case fluids, brakes and some filters, but so far, no other issues. Heck, the original battery is still running strong after 8 years. Bad news is that I paid $3k for an aftermarket warranty that's about to expire so it looks like I made a gamble there that isn't going to pay off, but at least I've had peace of mind for 4 years.

Reactions: OnlyGerman

·
Officially a BMW Addict
936 Posts
N55s have been extremely reliable. We only usually see major failures from very early build N55s. May not be the best first car though.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have a 2011 535i that I daily drive for work. I have 197k on it. It has been rock solid and a super well built car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts