BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new here and I'm not quite sure where to post this. I've scoured these forums and have been unable too find anyone with similar symptoms so any and all help would be appreciated.

My 540 build date 10/99 won't start. I recently replaced all of the chains and guides in the motor and replaced the VANOS with rebuilt units. I fired the car up and everything ran fine engine properly timed and VANOS in sync etc, etc. Fast forward to a few days ago I was driving the car faster than I normally would. The engine was revving at about 4000RPM. A cat ran out onto the road I braked hard then swerved around it. That's when a loud noise came from the front of the car I was hoping it had to do with the brakes but the engine then died and I coasted it home (Luckily) it then wouldn't start regardless of what I did. I replaced the Crank shaft position sensor as I know that will cause a no start. but no luck. The car cranks and wants to turn over sometimes will but then immediately stall. It has one code stored, P0370 (Timing Reference High Resolution Signal 'A' Malfunction) I've read it might be my Camshaft position sensors but I doubt they would have both failed simultaneously. I would just replace them but throwing money at a possible problem doesn't seem to be the best idea. I don't think the engine has jumped time as the chains are still tight and everything looked 100% when I looked inside. I'm stumped.

If anyone has any ideas/solutions they would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Hey, I'm new here and I'm not quite sure where to post this. I've scoured these forums and have been unable too find anyone with similar symptoms so any and all help would be appreciated.

My 540 build date 10/99 won't start. I recently replaced all of the chains and guides in the motor and replaced the VANOS with rebuilt units. I fired the car up and everything ran fine engine properly timed and VANOS in sync etc, etc. Fast forward to a few days ago I was driving the car faster than I normally would. The engine was revving at about 4000RPM. A cat ran out onto the road I braked hard then swerved around it. That's when a loud noise came from the front of the car I was hoping it had to do with the brakes but the engine then died and I coasted it home (Luckily) it then wouldn't start regardless of what I did. I replaced the Crank shaft position sensor as I know that will cause a no start. but no luck. The car cranks and wants to turn over sometimes will but then immediately stall. It has one code stored, P0370 (Timing Reference High Resolution Signal 'A' Malfunction) I've read it might be my Camshaft position sensors but I doubt they would have both failed simultaneously. I would just replace them but throwing money at a possible problem doesn't seem to be the best idea. I don't think the engine has jumped time as the chains are still tight and everything looked 100% when I looked inside. I'm stumped.

If anyone has any ideas/solutions they would be greatly appreciated
My 540 came off the line same month and year as yours! Less'c, 3k is round 105 or so in my car, 4k must be?? 130-135? :)

Jim

·
Just call me 777.
852 Posts
A bang is frightening. Drop the pan, check compression, and borescope they cylinders.

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
Might try a compression measurement.

Also,timing wheels have been known to loosen up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts