Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so for some time now my 2004 BMW 545i goes into limp mode. For the most part it happens when I am parking and switching between drive and reverse. When I turn it off and turn it back on the malfunction goes away. Lately it has been coming up at low speeds. I plugged my code reader in and it comes up with p0706. Looked it up and this code means a neutral safety switch has gone bad. I proceeded to look up the part to see how much it costs that way I can order it and swap it out. Turns out this model does not have a neutral safety switch. I've been doing some research and it seems like I have to replace the gear selector?? I'm not exactly sure if that is the cause and I'm not exactly sure on how to replace this. I can't find a brand new gear selector either, just used ones on eBay. If I'm going to replace this I'd like to replace it with a brand new piece that way it will last me longer than a used piece. Anyone come across this issue and if so what was your fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys so for some time now my 2004 BMW 545i goes into limp mode. For the most part it happens when I am parking and switching between drive and reverse. When I turn it off and turn it back on the malfunction goes away. Lately it has been coming up at low speeds. I plugged my code reader in and it comes up with p0706. Looked it up and this code means a neutral safety switch has gone bad. I proceeded to look up the part to see how much it costs that way I can order it and swap it out. Turns out this model does not have a neutral safety switch. I've been doing some research and it seems like I have to replace the gear selector?? I'm not exactly sure if that is the cause and I'm not exactly sure on how to replace this. I can't find a brand new gear selector either, just used ones on eBay. If I'm going to replace this I'd like to replace it with a brand new piece that way it will last me longer than a used piece. Anyone come across this issue and if so what was your fix?
Did you get the p0706 resolved?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I was able to finish the job off last night. I replaced my solenoids as well as the adapter seal and the 4 other deals that go in the transmission and the adapter seal, put new oil in with a new filter pan and all is well so far. Car feels 100% better. I recommend you do this

1 - 3 of 3 Posts