BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW 6 series humming noise when turning left or right

908 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  645/333
Hello all,

It's been a few months that I have purchased a beautiful 640i coupe.
I was scared to buy a used bmw, but thanks to the helpful community we have here I had the courage and purchased one.

Everything has been fine for the past months, but recently I get a humming noise when I turn the steering wheel. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but mostly after driving in city for a while (I drove a 3hour journey on the highway and the sound wasn't there. The sound also happens when I turn the steering wheel when the car is off.
Here's the link of the video :

My car has an electric power steering wheel so, there's no reservoir to fill. I personally don't think there's a problem with the EPS because the noise is still there with the car off.

I have searched online for a few days, but nobody seems to have the same issue as me.

Any help or similar experiences would be very helpful (in the country I live, mechanics aren't very professional so I was hoping to know more about the issue before visiting one)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
With ignition on it is easier to turn the wheel, that sounds more like the plastic on plastic rubbing, have you tried raising or lowering the steering wheel, or in or out !!! anything to a different position and then try!!
I dont think its the position of steering wheel, because everytime i start and turn off the car the steering wheel goes up and down automatically
With ignition on it is easier to turn the wheel, that sounds more like the plastic on plastic rubbing, have you tried raising or lowering the steering wheel, or in or out !!! anything to a different position and then try!!
Yes it goes up and down, but it does not go in or out, worth a try! you may want to operate it via the switch to its maximum position both up and down and in and out, to eliminate the column drive itself, that then leaves you with the steering boss itself or the steering rack feedback.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.