BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stylistically self-assured presence, exclusive appointments and refined sportiness ***8211; the new S-Class Coupé from Mercedes-Benz combines the classic proportions of a large, sporty coupé with modern luxury and state-of-the art technology. As a world première, the breathtaking two-door coupé can be optionally equipped with the MAGIC BODY CONTROL suspension system with curve tilting function. Additional technical highlights are the head-up display and the touch pad feature. Optionally available expressive headlamps, each featuring 47 Swarovski crystals, produce a uniquely striking appearance.

The flowing profile of the S-Class Coupé embodies sensual purity in a modern way. It is characterised by typical rear-wheel-drive proportions, emphasised by the hallmark Mercedes dropping line. The long bonnet with pronounced lines and powerdomes, the low greenhouse with high beltline, the accentuated wheel arches as well as the large wheels (18- to 20-inch) and the broad visual effect created by the rear reinforce the S-Class Coupé's aspirations as a masterpiece of automotive refinement. With a wheelbase of 2945 mm, the Coupé is 5027 mm long, with a width of 1899 mm and a height of 1411 mm.

"Our new S-Class Coupé is one of the most gorgeous coupés of all times, representing the most radical aesthetic departure from its predecessor," says Gorden Wagener, Vice President Daimler AG. "The sensuous flowing silhouette in interplay with the clear progressive design language forms a perfect symbiosis and expresses our philosophy of sensual purity with pithy precision."

MAGIC BODY CONTROL, the first "suspension with eyes", had its world première in the S-Class. With the curve tilting function the Coupé introduces a further world first for series-production cars: The curve tilting function makes the Coupé lean into bends in a manner similar to a motorcyclist or skier. The lateral acceleration acting upon occupants is reduced in a way akin to when driving in a steep curve, and passengers sit more firmly. On country roads in particular, the new curve tilting function enhances motoring enjoyment and comfort. The object is not to reach higher speeds, but to produce a more pleasant motoring experience.

The interior design of the new S-Class Coupé is an expression of the Mercedes-Benz design idiom ***8211; sensual purity. An enthralling combination of sculptural sensuous volume elements and components, and the clear geometry of its basic architecture create an avant-garde design idiom. A high class appeal, quality workmanship and exceptional touch and feel are a treat for the passengers' senses, so that the car's interior represents the highest level of "modern luxury".

The new S-Class Coupé will have its world première at the Geneva International Motor Show (6 ***8211; 16 March 2014); distribution to dealerships is scheduled for the second half of 2014. The two-door car is available with a 4663 cc V8 biturbo engine. The S 500 Coupé has a nominal output of 335 kW (455 hp), its torque level peaks at 700 Nm. The sporty motoring experience is significantly enhanced by the emotional sound produced by the exhaust system.

Check out the S Class next to BMW's 6 Series in this photo comparison.

***8221;6vsS***8221;

***8221;6vsS***8221;

***8221;6vsS***8221;

***8221;6vsS***8221;

***8221;6vsS***8221;

***8221;6vsS***8221;

M6 Vs. S Class

***8221;M6S***8221;

***8221;M6S***8221;

***8221;M6S***8221;

***8221;M6S***8221;

***8221;M6S***8221;

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
When I first saw the S Coupe pictures last week I thought there was a resemblance to the 6, maybe more so the M6 (especially the front).

Would be interested to know what it weighs, beautiful car though I don't like the interior as well as the exterior.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
When I first saw the S Coupe pictures last week I thought there was a resemblance to the 6, maybe more so the M6 (especially the front).

Would be interested to know what it weighs, beautiful car though I don't like the interior as well as the exterior.
I've said the same thing about the resemblance and I would agree that the S Class Coupe is perhaps more in line with the M6. The S Class certainly looks to be a stunning piece of engineering...Merc hit a home run with this one!

·
Registered
641 Posts
The S coupe is far more stunning in person than in these pictures. It is also larger than the 6 and most certainly will weigh more. The split picture has resized the car. Bottom line is it's gorgeous.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was in having my MB serviced about a month ago and one of the salesmen said it should be in around August or Sept. From what I've read it will use MB's magic ride, stereo-optic cam system that reads road profile and adjusts the suspension as needed. They will be dumping the ABC system from what I've heard. Lots of worthless, IMO, gizmos like aroma therapy, LED mood lighting and a link to a mood-music library. All being adjusted based on driver profile and "mood". The interior will use 2, 7 inch, OLED panels for instrument displays. Probably going to use their 5 liter twin turbo for power with an optional AMG monster. Target sticker price will be north of an M6 by about 15%, depending on options. I've owned CL's in the past and I've always thought the S class to be the better vehicle so I'm anxious to see this one in person.

The boys over on the MB board love their new 2014 S class, but only time will tell if MB has finally got back on track with regards to quality of engineering and manufacturing. I keep feeling like MB keeps trying to go downscale and reach a wider audience, witness the new baby benz models, and is segregating their product line in a way that makes BMW a much more attractive option. IE, the nice traditional ride and drive of a Benz starts at 100k and goes from their, C class and even E class don't feel like a benz to me anymore.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was in having my MB serviced about a month ago and one of the salesmen said it should be in around August or Sept. From what I've read it will use MB's magic ride, stereo-optic cam system that reads road profile and adjusts the suspension as needed. They will be dumping the ABC system from what I've heard. Lots of worthless, IMO, gizmos like aroma therapy, LED mood lighting and a link to a mood-music library. All being adjusted based on driver profile and "mood". The interior will use 2, 7 inch, OLED panels for instrument displays. Probably going to use their 5 liter twin turbo for power with an optional AMG monster. Target sticker price will be north of an M6 by about 15%, depending on options. I've owned CL's in the past and I've always thought the S class to be the better vehicle so I'm anxious to see this one in person.

The boys over on the MB board love their new 2014 S class, but only time will tell if MB has finally got back on track with regards to quality of engineering and manufacturing. I keep feeling like MB keeps trying to go downscale and reach a wider audience, witness the new baby benz models, and is segregating their product line in a way that makes BMW a much more attractive option. IE, the nice traditional ride and drive of a Benz starts at 100k and goes from their, C class and even E class don't feel like a benz to me anymore.
I totally agree... You have to go up market to really get a Benz.. I can the C-Class the Mercedes Neon lol..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just to reference another thread...The S Concept Coupe will come with an auto soft close deck lid though:)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
:dunno: Those circle AC vents look a little 60's/70's General Motors.

·
Registered
693 Posts
beautiful car though I don't like the interior as well as the exterior.
A friend of mine recently got the new S Class sedan; if the coupe interior is anything like the sedan, it will be gorgeous. Mercedes has taken the interior to a new level; the design, surfaces, colors, details and finishes are excellent. Not quite Maybach or Bentley level, but approaching it. And the technology and aesthetics of the instrument panel is beautiful as well. Also, if you have an extra $6,500, you can get the Burmeister sound system; by far, the nicest stock system i've ever heard.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Thanks for the pics. The S-Class Coupe will be on my list of cars to drive when my lease is up. I am intrigued by an AWD AMG version - it should be a beast. :thumbup:

·
Wilassasin
2,614 Posts
I like the new look and name of the S-Coupe rather than the CL550, S-Coupe just sounds better because ultimately thats all it has ever been is an S-Class Coupe. Cant wait to see one in person.

·
cor door sedan
1,161 Posts
Everything about it looks fantastic except for the decidedly Buick-esque back end. "For that reason, I'm out."

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Hard to hate on the S Class Coupe in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.