BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dealer sells it. I'm surprised they did not offer it to you at the time of sale. It's cheaper than the sedan alarm because it has no motion sensor.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Try pacifcbmw.com

I ordered mine through Pacific BMW, I think I remember it being right around $100? Install was super easy, there's a DIY file but it's not really necessary it's so straight forward. The fiberglass cover to the firewall was a little tricky to work with but other than that, still only took me 30 min.

But then you need to have your dealer activate the alarm once installed. That ran me $45.

The oem alarm is pretty useless since it doesn't have a motion detector or shock sensor. But I bought it because I wanted the audible indication my doors were locked or unlocked.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just curious. A lot of people complain that the convertible alarm has no motion sensor. But doesn't that make sense? If you parked it with the top down and some leaves fell in, do you want the alarm to sound? I guess engineering a motion alarm to work with the top down would be difficult...but having one that kicked in only when the top is up...well...there's an idea!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't really want a motion sensor...

But a shock sensor would be nice. So that at least the alarm would go off if someone backed into it in a parking lot, etc. Seems like a basic function to me? :dunno:

·
Spending Way Too Much
211 Posts
Not sure if this topic is dead, but I just discovered that there IS a Motion Sensor part of the alarm for the Cabriolet, but it is VERY different than the stock e46 version....and the cost is enormous!

I picked up the Bentley's Shop Manual and discovered....

The standard motion sensor uses an ultrasonic sensor, but the convertible version uses SDR (Short Distance Radar) to create a "bubble" area. It works whether the top is up or down...but let anything fall into the car (leaf, landing bird, etc), with the top down, and the alarm will go off. It can be disabled, with the tilt sensor, by hitting the remotes' lock button twice, just like the standard e46 alarm.
The Bentley manual only covers up to MY2001, but also applies to the MY2002 Cabriolet.

The REAL surprise is that the cost for this is almost DOUBLE that of the standard alarm. Here in Canada, the standard alarm can be found for just over $400CDN, while the Cabrio alarm is over $800CDN! (That's $260US vs. $500US) :yikes:

My dealer is going to knock off another $100CDN, but it's still expensive.

Also, I think the install for the motion sensor, in the Cabrio, is NOT a DIY, because the entire console must be removed, not just the cupholder tray...anyone know?

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Canuck BMW said:
The standard motion sensor uses an ultrasonic sensor, but the convertible version uses SDR (Short Distance Radar) to create a "bubble" area.

[...]

Also, I think the install for the motion sensor, in the Cabrio, is NOT a DIY, because the entire console must be removed, not just the cupholder tray...anyone know?
Yes... I've installed one in my '01 cab. Works great. There are in fact TWO sensors, not just one. The first sits just under the central locking / hazard switches on the center console, on top of the drive tunnel. There is a square of carpet that is pre-punched for removal, and under that is a metal bracket for mounting.

The other sensor mounts at the back of the center console, on the drive tunnel hump behind the rear ashtray. There is an additional housing that must be ordered to hold it -- you cut out the back of the console using a supplied template, then mount the sensor in the housing, and clip it in to place.

Wiring harnesses for both sensors were in my '01 US model 330cic (May build), but were a BIOTCH to fish out. However, once activated, everything worked!

I expect that I am one of a small cadre of US cabrio owners with a motion-sensing alarm, as it is not available in the US due to FCC regulations. I ordered mine direct from Germany through some back-channel connections.

It is a quite do-able DIY, although considerably more work than the OEM sedan and coupe alarms, and the US cabrio kit. Took me about 3 hours to do the install. You'll need a dremel tool. Also, the rear housing is a separate part -- doesn't come with the kit, and only comes in three colors: Tan, grey, and black (fortunately, the tan matched my Sand interior perfectly -- I'll post a picture tomorrow).

Dave

·
Spending Way Too Much
211 Posts
Thanks Dave! I knew about the two sensors (sender and receiver). I guess we're lucky, in Canada, that the Motion Sensor on the Cabrio is available here.

I'm even luckier because the dealer will be installing it today, as part of the purchase deal...I get the car tomorrow! ('02 330CiC - Imola Red with M Package; Black Top and Black Interior). They had to order the alarm kit from Toronto (BMW Canada HQ). The dealer's mechanic (Jim) should be able to complete the installation very quickly (He won BMW's award as "Best Mechanic in Canada!).
I installed the standard kit on my wife's 325i...piece of cake with the DIY's that are on these various forums.

Any comments on how it works versus the standard motion sensor (sensitivity, effective distance with the top down, etc)?

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Canuck BMW said:
Thanks Dave! I knew about the two sensors (sender and receiver).

[...]

Any comments on how it works versus the standard motion sensor (sensitivity, effective distance with the top down, etc)?
One point of clarification: There are two completely separate sensors in the cabrio, not a sender and a reciever. Each is a complete SDR range sensor. The reason for two is that, since they are mounted low in the plane of the drive tunnel, the front sensor cannot cover the rear compartment due to the "shadow" of the front seats. Hence, there is an additional sensor in the rear behind the vertical plane of the seats, that provides coverage for the rear passenger area. The ultrasonic motion detector in the sedan and coupe kits mounts in the roof, so this isn't an issue.

How does it work? Well, not as well as I expected. I don't seem to have a detection range that goes beyond a spherical radius of about 1-2 feet from the sensor locations. Therefore, if I were to leave something on the seat of the car with the top down, it is quite possible to remove (steal) it without triggering the alarm. However, if someone were to climb in, the alarm will go off.

I'll be very interested in hearing about the sensitivity of yours after you get it installed. Please post a folow-up -- there may some sort of adustment procedure that can be done at the dealer throught the DIS/MODIC to set the range. Also, if you don't mind asking when you're in and reporting back, I'd be very grateful.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.