BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this study on the Saabs United website.
It says that Saab owners are supposedly the "most passionate automotive group".
http://www.saabsunited.com/2009/07/academic-survey---show-your-saab-passion.html

I wonder what we are like. Car psychology - interesting research subject.
Maybe Saab owners are only said to be most passionate because here no-one knows that a survey like that is going on!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
I dunno about "Passionate", but long-time Saab owners are the only people anal enough to have their ignition key on the floor....
Over the last 20 or so years, with the popularity of leasing, cars have become pretty much "disposable" consumer fare, and except for the small hard-core knot of enthusiast/loyalists, I`m pretty sure that 90% of the general public could give 2 sh!ts about the technical merits of whatever they`re driving....it ain`t like The Olde Days....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm passionate about my BMW's too! :confused:

I really want Saab to succeed, and I'm not sure why. I think it's because they have so much hidden potential. Damn GM!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I own a Saab 9/5 Aero and was going to sell it when I bought the Coupe. I just couldn't do it. So I must be a real psychological mess.
I understand. I have a 2001 9-5 Aero with 132,000 miles, which I might replace with a 3 Series. Modern cars like the 3 Series and Acura TSX are better in many ways, but the Saab is difficult to let go. That car was designed by folks who care, and it has a strong personality.

That's probably the root of owners' passion. Thus, to find other passionate owners these days, which is difficult for exactly the reasons mentioned by Fast Bob, look to other cars with distinctive personalities. IMO, that includes BMW, Porsche, Corvette, Mustang, and the sport compacts like Subaru WRX/STi, Mazdaspeed 3, VW GTI, and Civic Si. A good indication of passionate owners is a large variety of aftermarket performance mods, and the mod squad is all over cars like these.

·
2,271 Posts
Isn´t passion the number one reason for joining an automobile forum or any type of club?
Not for me. I joined to learn more, so I could save money. I have no passionate feelings for my car. I like my car, but only as far as liking an object.
I do not feel like I am a part of a special club because I drive a BMW. I don't feel that I have upgraded my social status because I drive a BMW.

I reserve my passion for people. The character of a human being should never be intertwined with a car. The whole Saab deal, or feeling special because of a car, only helps the car maker sell more cars. BMW does not make cars to aid anybody in feeling passionate; they make cars to make money.

·
Enjoying the ride
318 Posts
Not for me. I joined to learn more, so I could save money. I have no passionate feelings for my car. I like my car, but only as far as liking an object.
I do not feel like I am a part of a special club because I drive a BMW. I don't feel that I have upgraded my social status because I drive a BMW.

I reserve my passion for people. The character of a human being should never be intertwined with a car. The whole Saab deal, or feeling special because of a car, only helps the car maker sell more cars. BMW does not make cars to aid anybody in feeling passionate; they make cars to make money.
Maybe "passion" is not the right word, but I certainly enjoy my car for reasons that are not purely economical or reliable, but because of the emotion it evokes when I drive it. And I enjoy nice cars and things speed-related in general. Do I have a "passion" for cars? Maybe, dunno, but I certainly enjoy them--if I didn't, I'd be driving a Camry or an Accord instead of my bimmer.

·
Road Warrior
271 Posts
Passion.....
I am very passionate about my BMW...my Porsche...all my cars. That's why I'll park at the end of a parking lot to keep my doors from getting dinged or only buy fuel from top tier fuel stations. That's why I wash and wax the car when it's 100 degrees outside or lay on the cold concrete in the winter to change the oil.
I wouldn't drive a car that didn't make me look back for a second look as I walk away or look into storefront windows at the reflection of the car as I drive past.
Life is not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.
If your BMW doesn't take your breath away....it deserves a better owner.

·
2,271 Posts
What the last two posters have described is not passion, but desire for perfection. I think we are wired to desire the best of everything, and when it comes to cars in our opinion BMW is as close to perfection as we can afford. So in order to keep it perfect, and balanced, we are more particular about our cars than somebody else. Someone else may have this desire to have the best in the area of computing, or eating...but it's not passion. Passion is loving a woman, loving your family, or the love of Christ for humanity displayed on the cross. It's above mere objects.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is like the deepest discussion ever! Lol

In all seriousness, I'm new to the Bimmer world. I like my bimmer because for the 1st time ever, I have a vehicle that I truly enjoy driving. Whether it's going to Walmart or Wilmington, I can't wait to jump in and take off.

I'm not a very "mechanical" guy, but since buying my bimmer, I find myself considering more DIY projects.

Does this mean I'm passionate? I dunno. I know it means that I really like my car. I think a person can be passionate about a number of things. I think I'm passionate about the 2nd Amendment. I think I'm passionate about baseball. Anything that can evoke extreme levels of emotion (whether good or bad) is something that a person can be passionate about...

...which would include our cars!

·
Enjoying the ride
318 Posts
What the last two posters have described is not passion, but desire for perfection. I think we are wired to desire the best of everything, and when it comes to cars in our opinion BMW is as close to perfection as we can afford. So in order to keep it perfect, and balanced, we are more particular about our cars than somebody else. Someone else may have this desire to have the best in the area of computing, or eating...but it's not passion. Passion is loving a woman, loving your family, or the love of Christ for humanity displayed on the cross. It's above mere objects.
Maybe "passion" is like love; there are different kinds: eros, philos and agape. Of course I love my wife differently than my car, and I love my kids differently than I love my wife, but I "love" my car nonetheless.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
I dunno about "Passionate", but long-time Saab owners are the only people anal enough to have their ignition key on the floor....
Over the last 20 or so years, with the popularity of leasing, cars have become pretty much "disposable" consumer fare, and except for the small hard-core knot of enthusiast/loyalists, I`m pretty sure that 90% of the general public could give 2 sh!ts about the technical merits of whatever they`re driving....it ain`t like The Olde Days....
+1. What a BMW says to most people is "I have more money than a Chevy driver." The average person has no interest in how their performs when trailbraked into a decreasing radius turn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.