BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into putting new rotors and pads on my 2000 528, but before I make a purchase I was wondering if I could find a used M5 brake kit, calipers etc. and put it on my car. Where do you think I could find this item.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You may need more than just calipers and rotors. I don't know about the M5, but the M3 uses different hubs and mounting brackets and a bigger master cylinder... not an easy or cheap swap. For example, I raced an E36 325i in SCCA and BMW Club racing and to upgrade the brakes, I found E46 330 brakes bolted right up, however M3 brakes required a ton of retrofitting. The 330 brakes were very close in size to the M3 brakes and much cheaper as they had no ///M on them :)

The real quesiton is are you at the limit of the stock brakes? Unless you are racing your car on a track with repeated hard braking, you are probably fine with stock brakes.

If you feel you still want more brake, then I'd suggest a Hawk HPS or HP Plus pad. If you just want a big brake kit, then a Stoptech kit woud probably be cheaper than an M5 kit.

Vince

·
Registered
133 Posts
UCets528 said:
I am looking into putting new rotors and pads on my 2000 528, but before I make a purchase I was wondering if I could find a used M5 brake kit, calipers etc. and put it on my car. Where do you think I could find this item.
Yes all you need is the calipers +carriers, rotors and pads. However before going throught the trouble; you want to be sure your current wheels will accomodate the M5 rotors and Calipers. The M5 board is a good starting place. Most of those guys get a BBK and literally give the stock brakes away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah does anybody know if thier is a size difference between M5 brakes setup versus the regualr 528 sport brakes. Do these brakes fit a 528i sport.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.