BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An op-ed in the March 2022 Roundel magazine by Brian Thomason details some of his "fond memories of European Delivery". It struck a chord with me as I too have wonderful memories of the E.D. I did to collect my 2008 335i Coupe and log 1,700 miles touring Europe by BMW automobile. I was hoping to see my new G29 Z4 displayed on the rotating dais at the Welt but alas...

Mr. Thomason suggests that we should write a letter to the BMW CCA to try and get the program reinstated for U.S. customers. I think it would be terrific if everyone could send a short note asking for that. He provided the following addresses:

[email protected]
and
BMW CCA Euro Delivery
2350 Hwy 101S
Greer, SC 29650

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I’ll do it as I’ve done 4 ED’s and it‘s fabulous experience. But, how does it help to send the request to the BMW Car Club? It’s not up to them. Or are they going to send all the letters to BMW NA or BMW AG?

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,407 Posts
In an earlier (2020) issue of Roundel, published not long after the ED program was terminated, the editors indicated that the CCA was already working behind the scenes to encourage BMW NA to restore the program. Regardless of progress on that front, IMO international travel restrictions are not sufficiently relaxed to make revival of European Delivery practical yet. There's still too much risk of securing a delivery appointment but then being denied entry to keep it.

Quality of communications may carry more weight than quantity. A few hundred notes requesting restoration of ED might get some attention. A few hundred notes requesting same, with an enclosed photo of the {Audi|Benz|Volvo|Infiniti|whatever} purchased (solely or in part) because BMW ED was unavailable, will get some attention, without a doubt.

Reactions: ghpup

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
While obviously I want the program to return, I think it's folly to undertake this until the pandemic is actually in our rear-view mirror. Germany is first lifitng most (but not all) restrictions in March and even Bundeskanzler Scholz warned that fall or winter could see a new surge in cases and a return to restrictions.

ED didn't end because of the pandemic, but the pandemic was the final nail in the coffin. The program had already been watered down and savings had been cut.

Reactions: jvogt1

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
I sent Sebastian Mackensen a FedEx letter a few weeks ago to request a review of the European Delivery program, with a goal to renew tourist deliveries at the Welt. I ensured my opinion was backed-up with my check-book: 17 prior ED's, and a desire to to do several more of high end automobiles now the pandemic appears to be waning.

I cc'd Bernhard Kuhnt; he was a former neighbor in SoCal while he was working for the Tri-Star team. ;)

Reactions: BimmerBahn

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Not that NA or AG would ever release such figures, but I wonder what the number of vehicle sales is (in revenue and units) to bring tourist delivery to the break even point.

i am quite sure this was never profitable for BMW but it bought a tremendous amount of liyakty and goodwill to the marque

The oroginal purpose of the program - to introduce Amis to funny foreign autos - is no longer necessary.

Maybe a well placed article by me could fan the flames.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
How is CCA involved in the decision that was made by BMW NA? Curious as to how CCA can make things return. TIA
It isn’t. But it represents tens of thousands of owners (who are also auto buyers and brand ambassadors) and can lobby for the change.

Reactions: Ucla95

·
BMW Fahrer
4,675 Posts
I've done 6 Euro Deliveries, with the first two at the old center. Every single one has been memorable, and I would love to repeat the experience. With the old ED model and economic situation pre-pandemic the dealers didn't have a lot of incentive to go through the process hassle, and in today's market BMW sells every car they can make. I personally have doubts they could ever bring it back under the old terms (with a discount). But personally, I would be willing to pay up to $2k out of pocket to make it happen. Above that amount, and I can simply rent an M3 from sixt for a vacation.

Put me to work - I'm willing to help if I can.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just checking, did anyone hear anything back from BMW CCA or BMW NA about the EU program reinstatement? It was such a great experience and would really love to pick up the BMW again from the Welt (even if I need to pay extra for it).

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Just checking, did anyone hear anything back from BMW CCA or BMW NA about the EU program reinstatement? It was such a great experience and would really love to pick up the BMW again from the Welt (even if I need to pay extra for it).
Ja I am not at all sure that, in a summer when passengers not to mention checked bags aren’t getting to their destinations not to mention when automakers are in the second year of a gloval logistics and supply chain crisis, that BMW would have given it a place on the agenda for discussion and consideration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts