BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sevice light recently came on my '02 325i and I took it to my local AutoZone to have the codes read. It came up as a P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak). Can anyone tell me what this could be and if there is anything that I could do myself to fix and or correct the problem?

Thanks!

K

·
Keeping it surreal
43,312 Posts
Make sure the gas cap is on tight after fueling up....this is one of the common reasons for popping a code.

Regards,
Bob

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Make sure the gas cap is on tight after fueling up....this is one of the common reasons for popping a code.

Regards,
Bob
This is weird. I just took my wife's Jeep to Advance auto for a check engine light and it was the exact same problem and the exact same advice was given "screw on the cap tight". Weird.

·
Registered
12,432 Posts
both vehicles were obd2. the '0' in the code after the 'p' designates this as a generic code and will be the same for all vehicles 1996 and newer regardless of make sold in the us.
a '1' in place of the '0' will be manufacturer specific, but for the same subsystem, so a code 'p1455' wouldn't necessarily be a gross evap leak, but it may be a "purge valve circuit open" code (just an example, not what it really is), and it may be something entirely different on the jeep, but still in the evaporative emissions system.
and yes, the gas cap is usually the fault for the p0455. cheap fix if it is bad, though.

drivinfaster

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
P-Code: P0455
BMW Fault Code : 143
Fault Description : Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (large leak)

Definitely gas cap since it's a major leak fault.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts