BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any site that you can go and see what error codes mean?
Check engine light/ airbag light, etc.

I have check engine light on my 2001 325 xi.
I have codes/numbers scaned I will post them tomorrow, if there is no site to see the codes then may be some one will be able to explain them here.

Also very easy question: where does outside tempeture sensore located on 2001 325 xi?
My is missing, and outside tempeture shows -40 which couses AC to shut off sometimes beacause WHO RUNS AC when there is -40 on the outside. I bought a new sensor and socket, however I cannot find the place where would it go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
codes

code:001
246 Flow rate, secondary-air system, too low, bank 2

code:002
245 Flow rate, secondary-air system, too low, bank 1

After goes code 003
242 misfire cylinder 5
240 misfire cylinder 3
238 misfire cylinder 1

What is wrong and needs to be changed????

·
Banned
310 Posts
Homer Simpson said:

After goes code 003
242 misfire cylinder 5
240 misfire cylinder 3
238 misfire cylinder 1

These are just guesses. I HIGHLY recommend taking your BMW to an indepedent shop for better diagnosis.

You could have a bad vacuum line and/non return valve on the secondary air injection system.

As for the misfires, you could have bad ignition coils.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Homer Simpson said:

After goes code 003
242 misfire cylinder 5
240 misfire cylinder 3
238 misfire cylinder 1

The outside temperature sensor is located in one of the front air dam trim panels that are mounted in front of the front wheels under the bumper. Chances are that the air dam trim panel is damaged, and the sensor and wiring was ripped off. You will need a new trim panel, sensor and a wiring repair kit.

As for the fault codes, you might have a few things going on. It sounds like you might have a cracked vacuum line for the secondary air valve. The line is located on the front passenger side of the engine above the exhaust manifolds. There is a 3 or 4 inch section of rubber hose (that plugs into the valve) that gets brittle and breaks with age. This would be the first thing to check. If this is ok, you might have an air pump or electric changover valve problem.

I would not worry too much about the misfire faults if the car seems to run fine. They may have been set a long time ago due to the car being run low on fuel. You could have some coil issues, but I'd see how it goes. Start with the secondary air problem and go from there. Hope this helps,

Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
codes

Got the Out side tempeture sensor in place.Thanks. You were right. I need to get a new Air Duct. Getting it on Monday.

The Vacuum Air house looks new with no cracks.

The second problem I'm having that I cannot locate fuse box in this car/
where would that be? I need to check powel lock fuse.
2001 325 xi

·
Registered
141 Posts
Homer Simpson said:
Got the Out side tempeture sensor in place.Thanks. You were right. I need to get a new Air Duct. Getting it on Monday.

The Vacuum Air house looks new with no cracks.

The second problem I'm having that I cannot locate fuse box in this car/
where would that be? I need to check powel lock fuse.
2001 325 xi
The fuses for the central locking system are in the glove box. There are 2 white clips on the roof of the glove box that you need to twist, then the fuse tray will drop down.

If the vacuum line is ok, you will need to have the secondary air system tested. You could do some basic testing yourself. If you open the hood and start the engine cold (1st thing in the AM), the secondary air pump SHOULD kick on for 30 seconds to a few minutes depending on the temerature. The pump is on the passenger side of the engine compartment, near the washer fluid tank. If it is not coming on, you most likely have a bad pump. If it does come on, it is probably a bad valve or broken line somewhere.

Andy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Excellent Diag!!!
I have the same prombem. The air duct is loose,I'll get it on a rack and check it out.
It is loose right nowbut looks fine otherwise!!! Thanks for the tip!!! Kudos!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was once getting a missfire due to a slight tare in the intake hose after the MAF.How it cracked and they saw that beats me,because its in a very hidden tight area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts