BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 BMW 435, which came with the BMW Connected subscription. This lets me use an iPhone app to find my car’s location, lock the doors, flash the lights, and a few other things.

It is AWFUL. It works maybe 1 time in 5, and when it does (or doesn’t) it takes several minutes to send a message which is perhaps 50 bytes in size. It can’t be only me... does anyone know what the problem is with this system?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
It did not take me long in 2014 to figure out that the service was not worth paying for. So it lapsed. You've had the car for 4 years? You should not renew again.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did not take me long in 2014 to figure out that the service was not worth paying for. So it lapsed. You've had the car for 4 years? You should not renew again.
I bought the car as a CPO and the subscription was included. It would be worth paying for if it worked.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The only useful thing about BMW connected is the new app. I like how I get a notification of my trip summery. I also like the locate my vehicle on a map option and comfort ventilation.

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
I dislike the fact that it starts the app on my phone (Samsung S7) every time (or nearly every time) it connects via BT to the car. Even though I don't need the app.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a 2015 435i, renewed connected drive services twice already: bmw online and real time traffic navigation work great. I only use bmw online for online search, other features not so much. Location services have not worked properly in months, it tells me my car is located 90 miles away from my current location at a place we have visited on our vacation months ago/deleted the app and reinstalled, same thing. The rest of remote features do work, but are VERY slow (why would I want to wait 3 min to honk the horn?!)

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I have a 2015 435i, renewed connected drive services twice already: bmw online and real time traffic navigation work great. I only use bmw online for online search, other features not so much. Location services have not worked properly in months, it tells me my car is located 90 miles away from my current location at a place we have visited on our vacation months ago/deleted the app and reinstalled, same thing. The rest of remote features do work, but are VERY slow (why would I want to wait 3 min to honk the horn?!)

Mine only takes 30 sec. or so. I remember the cup holder wars, so I am surprised BMW offers these services at all. I guess that's where the money is.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
BMW Connected App "services" have been buggy since I first started using them a few years back. "Outages" can last a few hours to a few days :-(
When they are fully functional the app features can be helpful - BMW Assist is the most valuable IMHO - WHEN & IF YOU NEED IT (Accident = #1 for me)
The other bells and whistles like surround view or remote lock/unlock can be "helpful". e.g. Locking car remotely if you forget to do that when away from the car, etc.
ALL subscription-based services like BMW's are first a free trial period then a paid yearly contract. IF you remember to do this - BMW Assist Locator service may give you a discount on part of your car's insurance policy BUT you have to notify your insurance company and provide proof it is active.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,622 Posts
It may be just a 2G connection.
All 2G infrastructure was shut down several years ago. BMWs that have 2G modems (e.g., the E90 generation) are now cut off altogether.

The ability to send navigation destinations from Google Maps to the car was immensely useful to me. It was the only feature of the service that I used often and I still miss it. :(

·
Dave
134 Posts
I dislike the fact that it starts the app on my phone (Samsung S7) every time (or nearly every time) it connects via BT to the car. Even though I don't need the app.
That's what it was doing to me on my iPhone. I check the phone later and find the battery dead because the app was trying to connect all day and night when I wasn't even driving anymore.

Then I found a setting in iDrive, can't remember where, but I think it was labeled "BMW apps". I removed the check box and now it never starts the app while driving. Try that.

As for the app, it's worked perfect for me, other than that self connecting issue. It only takes seconds to pre-heat or pre-cool the interior. And I use the Connected Drive service on the laptop, iPad and phone. Works great in all three.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
I have a 2014 BMW 435, which came with the BMW Connected subscription. This lets me use an iPhone app to find my car’s location, lock the doors, flash the lights, and a few other things.

It is AWFUL. It works maybe 1 time in 5, and when it does (or doesn’t) it takes several minutes to send a message which is perhaps 50 bytes in size. It can’t be only me... does anyone know what the problem is with this system?
The best feature is to send your destination to the nav in the car.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts

You are missing some of the more helpful features, in my calendar if and when I have an appointment and the address is in, it will send the address to my car and start up Nav with direction to my appointment. To me that is a very helpful feature.

·
Dave
134 Posts
With the eDrive vehicles, the Connected has a few more "useful" features. Like being able to heat or cool the car and set it up on a time schedule if you want. It's nice when you are using someone else's electricity. It's like getting free gas. With the eDrive, we also have an "efficiency" page to keep track of your driving style.

But the app on the phone doesn't compare to the actual website on the laptop, etc. That's why when I travel, I take an iPad and link to the actual site. It has more fun stuff than the mobile site. Like updating the map regions, which seems to actually work now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Does that i my iPhone with no way to stop it (other then deleting app)

I also haven't been able to use the google maps send to car feature, google seems to send it but doesn't go into the car nav like it used to. I reported this back last nov 2017 bmw told me it was there connection. the app will still fwd the address but was way more convent to use googlemaps when i am already on the pc. sigh every now and then i re report it they always do the same thing reset my account one time they even recreated my account then tell me there server to gm is down. yeah right seems there staff has no idea, and corporate dosn't care

·
Dave
134 Posts
Does that i my iPhone with no way to stop it (other then deleting app)

I also haven't been able to use the google maps send to car feature, google seems to send it but doesn't go into the car nav like it used to. I reported this back last nov 2017 bmw told me it was there connection. the app will still fwd the address but was way more convent to use googlemaps when i am already on the pc. sigh every now and then i re report it they always do the same thing reset my account one time they even recreated my account then tell me there server to gm is down. yeah right seems there staff has no idea, and corporate dosn't care
-Reload the app and sign in.
-Take the phone down to the car and turn on the bluetooth.
-Turn on the ignition.
-In the iDrive menu, under Phone, go to "manage device"

There should be a few options over to the right (can't remember all the specific terms), one is "Apps".
-If it is selected with a check in the box, remove the check.

It should stop the app from auto-starting on your phone every time you drive the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts