Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 month old 330i xDrive came with Continental ContiProContact SSR tires. I had a nail in the tire at about 4K miles and the dealer charged me $280 to replace the tire. It was replaced with the same Continental tire. The replaced tire got a small screw in it with 8K miles on the car, or 4K miles on the replaced tire. I checked the Continental website for warranty information which I presented to the dealer ... The dealer replaced the tire under Continental's tire warranty (Continental will replace with up to 2/32nd wear). I asked the BMW service advisor why the first tire had not been covered under Continental's warranty and he said that the first tire had 7/32nd wear on it. Since the vast majority of my mileage is commuting to and from work, it makes no sense to me that the first tire was at 7/32nd wear and the second one was under 2/32nd since both tires needed to be replaced with 4,000 miles on each of them (the 2nd one was actually after 3,700 miles).

Of course, I don't believe that BMW even offers a warranty on their OEM-installed tires, so I'm confused as to why my service advisor referenced tread depth on the OEM tire replacement as a reason that it was not replaced under warranty (I am suspicious that if I had not shown up with a print out of the Continental replacement warranty if they would have even mentioned it). I don't have the greatest feeling about this dealership's ethics (when the first tire was replaced they gouged my rim and didn't tell me and then when I gave them a 3 out of 5 star on their survey for gouging my rim the service advisor was pissed and told me he could fix it for free if I would "work with him" ... which apparently was code for me changing my 3 of 5 rating to 5 out of 5 after I asked for clarification when I didn't quite get what he was saying ... is it my fault they gouged my tire and sent me on my merry way hoping I wouldn't notice?), so I thought I would check to see if any others had had a low mileage OEM tire replaced under a BMW warranty. These are my first Continental tires and they may have performance virtues, but I don't have time to be replacing tires every 4K miles for small punctures that on a non-run-flat tire would be $30 repair jobs so I'll be looking for another brand when I need to replace these tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The theory is that "even a trained technician" can't know if the inner support ring of the tire has been damaged if it has been run under-inflated, so Continental and the dealership don't recommend patching. In my case, neither tire lost more than few pounds of air so I have high confidence that there wasn't inner tire damage. I can understand their generalized position on this issue since it has to encompass all situations. It is just a shame that for small punctures that could easily be repaired on a non-run-flat tire that the owner has to shell out $280 a tire to replace a virtually new tire. Also, I went to NTW to see about a patch for the first tire and they also said it wasn't recommended and that it would take them 3 days to get a replacement tire. This is the other problem with these Continental run flat tires ... 3rd party shops don't seem to carry them in stock so if you need one quickly your only choice may be the dealership. I wouldn't be surprised if some 3rd party shops would plug the tires ... since I am a newbie to run flat tires, I just went with the tire manufacturer recommendation not to patch.

Anyone have an original run flat tire with low miles replaced by BMW under the basic car warranty (not an additional paid tire/rim warranty package)? I don't think they are covered, but just wanted to check ... the warranty information I reviewed is a bit confusing to me; or I should say perhaps just illogical that Continental warrants a replacement tire for the first 2/32nd but not the same tire if it comes OEM installed on the newly purchased vehicle.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
BMW's usually come with BMW-spec' tires, identified by having a star stamped in the outer sidewall. Tire Rack is pretty good about carrying these BMW-spec' tires. There are also tire distributors who specialize in OE tires. You'd have to do some detective work to find them, and then order through a retailer.

The pouch that contains your owner's manual also has a copy of the tire warranty.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
The proper way to repair a puncture is with a plug-patch system. Part of this process is rounding out the puncture hole to perfectly accept the plug part of the plug-patch. The plug-only repairs can start leaking, and can't be re-plugged. So, spending $10 on a plug, vs. $25 on a dismount-plug/patch-remount-balance repair might save you $15 but might cause your $300+ tire to need replacing earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. I went to NTW first and they wouldn't patch because the manufacturer doesn't support it. I would imagine dealerships and large chains have legal departments that don't want them to do anything that might transfer liability to them if they violate the tire manufacturer's recommendations. Its not a bad business model ... the tires are more expensive and they probably sell a lot more of them since they can't be patched for those that want to follow the manufacturers directions ... only problem with this business model is that I will try to avoid cars in the future with RTF ...

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
At first glance, who could not want RFT's? But, the devil is in the details.

BMW's slowly pulling their head out of their *** when it comes to RFT's. They're offering non-RFT's as no-cost options, but with limited applications, and offering optional spare tires. Our G01 X3 was available with non-RFT's, but only on the 30i, only with 19" all-season tires, and not in combination with the M Sport Package. The X7 offers non-RFT's, but the new X5 doesn't, an incentive to spent the extra $10k and get the X7. The 2's, 3's, and 4's offer non-RFT as part of the Track Handling Package.

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I went to NTW first and they wouldn't patch because the manufacturer doesn't support it. I would imagine dealerships and large chains have legal departments that don't want them to do anything that might transfer liability to them if they violate the tire manufacturer's recommendations. Its not a bad business model ... the tires are more expensive and they probably sell a lot more of them since they can't be patched for those that want to follow the manufacturers directions ... only problem with this business model is that I will try to avoid cars in the future with RTF ...
To OP, the 2nd tire installed by service center was covered by tire manufacturer's replacement tire warranties, e.g. Continental has 1st year or 2/32 coverage for road hazard on RFT.

On the other hand, tires from factory are covered by OE tie warranties, which should be listed in tire warranty CD that comes with the new car.

E.g. on MY13, the Continental OE tire warranty PDF does not list road hazard warranty.

In contrast, Pirelli OE tire warranty and replacement tore warranty have the same (generous) road hazard policies, namely free replacement first year or 2/32, and prorated after that.

As far as flat repairs, Michelin and Bridgestone allow RFT plug-and-patch(e.g. BS allows up to 3 repairs per tire) while Pirelli(with its generous RFT road hazard policy) and Continental do not allow RFT repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts