BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the situation

On Saturday, July 2nd 2011, I was driving my 2007 BMW 328 xi when my engine abruptly shut down on the Garden State Parkway. Unfortunately, I was only able to coast off to the right side of the shoulder not safe for parking in emergency situations. When I attempted to restart the car, the starter turned over, but the engine would not start. I Accordingly arranged to have my 328xi towed to the BMW Park Avenue service center in south Hackensack.

On July 6th, I received a call from a service representative from Park Avenue of BMW informing me, as I expected, that my fuel pump had failed and needed to be replaced. He said that the cost of the repair would be approximately $900 for labor plus the $1700 (which they would waive) for parts. I told him that I was surprised and concerned that the fuel pump had failed on a car that had only 59,000 miles on it, but that they should go ahead and replace the pump.
Specifically the fuel lines leading to the pump somehow disconnected. He then explained that the only way to replace the fuel lines was to replace the entire fuel tank, at a cost of $1700 (which they would waive). I thanked him for his efforts on my behalf and told him to proceed with the repairs.

Now my question is should I have to pay any expenses regarding this service ?
for one my car is still covered by the certified pre-owned service.

Second it states on BMW's website that "Our warranty has broad coverage that includes: ......, cooling system and fuel system. "

Steps I have taken so far

Filed a complaint with BMW customer relations. They stated that someone @ corporate made the decision that the fuel lines aren't covered under the CPO warranty.

I also Filed a complaint with NHTSA, I was doing 60 when my car suddenly lost power, all I could do was coast off the parkway onto the right side, very dangerous.

What am I looking for ?

Opinions from my fellow board members
For BMW to cover all expenses as stated in the CPO warranty

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd thoroughly review the CPO Warranty to verify if there is an explicity exclusion for the fuel lines or a definition of what BMW considers the Fuel System to be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd thoroughly review the CPO Warranty to verify if there is an explicity exclusion for the fuel lines or a definition of what BMW considers the Fuel System to be.
Exactly doesn't sound right that they can pick and Choose as to what doenst qualify when their CPO policy clearly states it's included.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Wow, thats absurd. Whats with newer BMWs and fuel system problems. It makes me nervous to hear this. I have a 2008 128i with a hair over 50k miles that I purchased as CPO. I know my car has the SULEV N51 engine. Those components should be covered under the CPO warranty, and this repair should only cost you the co-pay of $50.00.

Please keep us posted on this.

Best of luck,
Al.

·
California Über Alles
871 Posts
Even if there is some exclusionary language, that's BS.

The objective of the CPO warranty (and the CPO program in general) is to give the used car buyer confidence in his or her purchase. I can guess that a lot of people who not have bought a car generally perceived to be unreliable car were persuaded to do so by a CPO warranty. Plus it gives BMW dealers a second opportunity to make a profit on a BMW (and convince others BMWs really are reliable).

Putting fine print exclusions in the CPO warranty beforehand undermines that confidence. What the big print ("our warranty's broad coverage includes the fuel system") gives should not be taken away by the fine print ("some typical individual fuel system components not covered").

My first thought was the OP jumped the gun by filing complaints without giving BMW a chance to do right by the customer. Sure BMW has an opportunity to the right thing every time it picks up a phone to tell a customer its going to try to avoid CPO coverage on the basis of some non common sense fine print exclusion. But sometimes mistakes are made, people reconsider, and someone looking at the big picture gets involved.

Good luck to the OP, hope everything works out for you. One of my bimmers is a CPO and, although the CPO warranty hasn't kicked in yet, I still have a lot of confidence in BMW customer service in general.

·
California Über Alles
871 Posts
Wow, thats absurd. . . It makes me nervous to hear this.
I think you've pretty succinctly summarized the feeling of many owners of CPO'd BMWs. We expect not to be nervous about our used car purchase.

Without more of a basis than a general sense of confidence in BMW as a brand, I think the OP's problem was just a fluke. But BMW ought to be particularly concerned that the wrong messages not get out, i.e., that 328 fuel systems are problematic and that BMW isn't going to cover those problems under CPO warranty coverage.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,000 Posts
Your problem should without question be covered by the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you've pretty succinctly summarized the feeling of many owners of CPO'd BMWs. We expect not to be nervous about our used car purchase.

Without more of a basis than a general sense of confidence in BMW as a brand, I think the OP's problem was just a fluke. But BMW ought to be particularly concerned that the wrong messages not get out, i.e., that 328 fuel systems are problematic and that BMW isn't going to cover those problems under CPO warranty coverage.
You are correct one of the main reasons for me purchasing this car was because of the CPO option, now I have no confidence in that warranty. Its really disheartening I still believe in the brand but it feels like someone @ corporate is calling the shots on what and what not to cover just to save the company some money.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts

....cost of the repair would be approximately $900 for labor plus the $1700 (which they would waive) for parts. I told him that I was surprised and concerned that the fuel pump had failed on a car that had only 59,000 miles on it, but that they should go ahead and replace the pump.
Specifically the fuel lines leading to the pump somehow disconnected. He then explained that the only way to replace the fuel lines was to replace the entire fuel tank, at a cost of $1700 (which they would waive).

....it states on BMW's website that "Our warranty has broad coverage that includes: ......, cooling system and fuel system."

CPO covers parts and labor, yes?

Hey....

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
You are correct one of the main reasons for me purchasing this car was because of the CPO option, now I have no confidence in that warranty. Its really disheartening I still believe in the brand but it feels like someone @ corporate is calling the shots on what and what not to cover just to save the company some money.
Seems surprises like this is all too common with the CPO warranty.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I would push for CPO coverage but wouldn't bank on it.

Then again, I tend to call things "by the book" and believe that if the exclusion is specifically stated in the warranty contract itself, that BMW NA is not under any legal liability to cover it under warranty. Exclusions are specifically stated in the booklet and one should read them all and have a full understanding before signing on the dotted line.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would push for CPO coverage but wouldn't bank on it.

Then again, I tend to call things "by the book" and believe that if the exclusion is specifically stated in the warranty contract itself, that BMW NA is not under any legal liability to cover it under warranty. Exclusions are specifically stated in the booklet and one should read them all and have a full understanding before signing on the dotted line.
Its funny you mention "Exclusions are specifically stated in the booklet" I called BMW today again and specifically asked for any exclusionary clauses (as suggested by a previous comment), they referred me to the booklet which I received from my dealer when I purchased my car and to their website. Please see below as to what is not covered. BMW is doing a bad job of conveying what is and what is not covered under the CPO program.

What is not covered:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/cpo/warranty2.aspx

Upkeep Items
Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
How is it that car was inspected to qualify for CPO and this was missed?
I would also ask if there were other repairs done to this car that might account for such a very rare event.
CPO is a $50 cost per visit. I think your local dealer is working with you but BMW NA must have someone that is lacking in customer skills. This is not how to instill customer confidence.
I would not have filed any complaint by the way until BMW had been given every chance to make this right.
You now have created a confrontational situation which I don't think will serve you well.

I am interested in how this turns out. I have never heard of this happening to a BMW before so how is it that this one car has this problem? Makes me very suspicious about previous damage or repair. I would ask them how many 328ix's have seen this problem. I bet the answer is this is very rare...

·
HerrDoktorProfessor
3,650 Posts
Upkeep Items
Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.
So is it their claim that the fuel lines are "hoses" and not part of the "fuel system"? But if that is the case then why are they paying for the parts and not the labor?

This sounds like :bs: to me.

·
California Über Alles
871 Posts
Specifically the fuel lines leading to the pump somehow disconnected.
This is bush league, complete BS for BMW to slide out of coverage because a hose disconnected. A worn out hose is maybe a maintenance item. A complete fuel system malfunction caused by a hose disconnecting due to some defect in the connection design should NOT be excluded. If a gas tank has to be replaced because a hose disconnected (or even burst due to age), this is not mere maintenance-- this is a design defect. Maybe not enough to bring a lawsuit (although I sincerely hope someone does if BMW doesn't do the right thing), but enough for people to seriously discount the value of a CPO warranty when considering whether to buy a used BMW.

BMWs attitude on this is very disturbing. I hope they rethink the long term effects of undermining customer confidence on a technicality. BMW ought to know better than to screw a customer because they may have put some fine print CYA disclaimer/exclusion in a CPO warranty they use to draw in customers.

Please keep me posted on the outcome of your situation.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I own a 2010 535 station wagon (20,000 miles) and about four months ago it threw a code announcing that the emissions system was malfunctioning. Come to find out that rodents that took refuge in our garage during the winter had chewed through some line near the gas tank so that the pressure checking system no longer worked. BMW charged us full boat for the parts and repairs since the damage was done by rodents and it wasn't a parts failure per se. The service rep was familiar with the problem and said they'd seen it before. So while it wasn't common it also wasn't a one of a kind thing. Apparently the mice love the taste of the wire wrapping. I didn't fight it because it wasn't an outright parts failure. However, in my book it's a design failure--if this does happen, why hasn't BMW designed it so mice can't get at that area? While I understand the failure was due to "misuse" (by mice), at the same time I'm not real interested in subsidizing BMW's engineering failures.

In the OP's case, based on the exclusion wording, I think BMW is fudging big time and should pay. However, it is a sliding scale -- where does parts failure and design failure fall in the spectrum? It's not always an easy call.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
I own a 2010 535 station wagon (20,000 miles) and about four months ago it threw a code announcing that the emissions system was malfunctioning. Come to find out that rodents that took refuge in our garage during the winter had chewed through some line near the gas tank so that the pressure checking system no longer worked. BMW charged us full boat for the parts and repairs since the damage was done by rodents and it wasn't a parts failure per se. The service rep was familiar with the problem and said they'd seen it before. So while it wasn't common it also wasn't a one of a kind thing. Apparently the mice love the taste of the wire wrapping. I didn't fight it because it wasn't an outright parts failure. However, in my book it's a design failure--if this does happen, why hasn't BMW designed it so mice can't get at that area? While I understand the failure was due to "misuse" (by mice), at the same time I'm not real interested in subsidizing BMW's engineering failures.

In the OP's case, based on the exclusion wording, I think BMW is fudging big time and should pay. However, it is a sliding scale -- where does parts failure and design failure fall in the spectrum? It's not always an easy call.
And after BMW redesigns the fuel lines, maybe they can come out and redesign your garage to keep out mice? :angel:

Honestly, BMW should not be held responsible for insect/rodent/pest damage. If you leave your car outdoors near the woods or if you park in a garage that has a rodent problem, you can't blame BMW for anything that those creatures do.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
After reading through the coverage and exclusions, I interpret the CPO this way. It should cover the fuel system and repairs but not necessarily the hoses related to the fuel system. The fuel pump should be covered, and it sucks that you have a SULEV model with the sealed petrol tank, but that should be covered as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After reading through the coverage and exclusions, I interpret the CPO this way. It should cover the fuel system and repairs but not necessarily the hoses related to the fuel system. The fuel pump should be covered, and it sucks that you have a SULEV model with the sealed petrol tank, but that should be covered as well.
Yea all around its not looking good in my favor, I phoned customer relations again earlier today voicing my disappointment, who knows maybe i'll get the attention of some higher up exec. Wish me luck i'll keep this thread posted, thanks to everyone so far with your insights its been helpful.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts