1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Read this post linked below if you are deciding between getting a "loaner" / "courtesy" car or a rental car from your dealership when taking your car in for a service overnight:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/bmw-dealership-courtesy-cars-shady-business-practice-lance-soskin/

Short version: BE AWARE - YOUR CREDIT CARD INSURANCE PROBABLY DOES NOT COVER "COURTESY" CARS FROM CAR DEALERSHIPS.
Thats because in most cases there is no charge because its not a "rental". If there is a charge, then you need to talk to your credit card company because at that point it seems like it would be a rental. Of course, laws in canada may be different, but nothing said you had to take their rental car... and nothing said you could not use your own insurance coverage to pay for it either.
/
You have insurance right? You looked over the car before you took it, right? if you didnt look over the car before you took it and are saying " I did not put this damage there" well then shame on you for not looking over the car before you took it.

If you are acknowledging you put the damage there, then you need to deal with getting it fixed, either through your insurance or outside of that...

If you dont want to do either one of those things, decline their loaner and have them use their courtesy drop off service to take you home. Not sure why you think its a BMW problem that there is damage to their loaner car and they want you to fix it....

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Do check with specific CC T&C, as a benefit admins of one of my CCs said any paperwork that says "car rental agreement"(e.g. the generic one from BMWNA) will work regardless of charge or not.

In the linkedin article, the loaner is $20/day, so it will fall into my CC's policy to get rental coverage, esp. when the contract says "customer agrees to rent the rental car from ....".

The declining of CDW just means there is no primary purchased from rental car company.

Most CC rental coverage is secondary anyway, except for high end(fee-based) CC's that offer primary coverage.

For secondary CC coverage, customers will be required to file to personal policy first, then any deductible/extra will be covered by CC secondary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dealership hands out loaners for free just have to book over 3 weeks in advice to bring your car and actually get a loaner since they are always taken

·
former motorcycle rider
768 Posts
I never pay for loaner cars, so I wouldn't expect my credit card to cover it. I do expect my normal auto insurance to cover me though, and it will.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats because in most cases there is no charge because its not a "rental". If there is a charge, then you need to talk to your credit card company because at that point it seems like it would be a rental. Of course, laws in canada may be different, but nothing said you had to take their rental car... and nothing said you could not use your own insurance coverage to pay for it either.
/
You have insurance right? You looked over the car before you took it, right? if you didnt look over the car before you took it and are saying " I did not put this damage there" well then shame on you for not looking over the car before you took it.

If you are acknowledging you put the damage there, then you need to deal with getting it fixed, either through your insurance or outside of that...

If you dont want to do either one of those things, decline their loaner and have them use their courtesy drop off service to take you home. Not sure why you think its a BMW problem that there is damage to their loaner car and they want you to fix it....
Hi jjrandorin, you have to read the article to understand the whole thing. It's more complicated than that and too long to explain it here again.

·
Registered
11,400 Posts
Canada and the U.S. have vastly different insurance rules.

My auto insurance covers rental and loaner cars, as does my credit cards when I use them to rent a car. I also carry a general liability or "umbrella" insurance policy to cover what my home owner's and automobile insurance policies don't cover. The main reason I carry collision on at least one of our cars is so that I will be covered with rentals and loaners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do check with specific CC T&C, as a benefit admins of one of my CCs said any paperwork that says "car rental agreement"(e.g. the generic one from BMWNA) will work regardless of charge or not.

In the linkedin article, the loaner is $20/day, so it will fall into my CC's policy to get rental coverage, esp. when the contract says "customer agrees to rent the rental car from ....".

The declining of CDW just means there is no primary purchased from rental car company.

Most CC rental coverage is secondary anyway, except for high end(fee-based) CC's that offer primary coverage.

For secondary CC coverage, customers will be required to file to personal policy first, then any deductible/extra will be covered by CC secondary.
Hi namelessman, What CC do you have? My Visa is a premium one and it definitely states that it does not cover courtesy cars. Do you have something different to Visa?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Canada and the U.S. have vastly different insurance rules.

My auto insurance covers rental and loaner cars, as does my credit cards when I use them to rent a car. I also carry a general liability or "umbrella" insurance policy to cover what my home owner's and automobile insurance policies don't cover. The main reason I carry collision on at least one of our cars is so that I will be covered with rentals and loaners.
Hi Autoputzer, I'm not sure about US laws. But don't you have a deductible on your normal personal insurance? It's very unusual not to have a $300 or $500 deductible. Typically CC insurance has no deductible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealership hands out loaners for free just have to book over 3 weeks in advice to bring your car and actually get a loaner since they are always taken
Hi Antec900, that's a bit more civil since it is a true courtesy car - but what happens if you park in a parking lot and you get back and there's a small scratch on it?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hi jjrandorin, you have to read the article to understand the whole thing. It's more complicated than that and too long to explain it here again.
I did read the article....

·
Registered
11,400 Posts
Hi Autoputzer, I'm not sure about US laws. But don't you have a deductible on your normal personal insurance? It's very unusual not to have a $300 or $500 deductible. Typically CC insurance has no deductible.
I have a zero deductible on comprehensive insurance (covers vandalism, theft, arson, fire, acts of God, etc.) and a $1000 deductible on collision (an accident caused by me).

I had a brand new 3 Series hybrid loaner once that was attacked by a German Shepherd who was pissed by the whizzing sound of the electric motor. It left a scratch on the door. But, I've seen what happens to loaner cars after they're washed by the dealer's minimum wage wash monkeys. The first time that new car was washed it likely had more damage than caused by the German Shepherd.

I take as good of care of my loaners as I do of my own cars. But, the German Shepherd was loose in an office park where I had a meeting. Where I live, people who own their own businesses often bring their dogs to work. This dog's owner let him and another dog run loose.

My dealer has got more active about doing a walk around on customers' cars in for service and on loaners when they go out and are returned. My 535i has been so reliable that it's only be in the shop twice since I got it 42 months and 45k miles ago, and the second time was for tires. I do my own oil changes. It's cheaper than driving the 180 mile round trip to get a free one at the dealer.

Insurance is regulated at the state level in the U.S. In Florida, windshields are required to be covered 100% with no deductible under comprehensive coverage.

If you have a deductible, then you should expect to pay that if there is a loss. That's how insurance works.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I read the article. And it sounds to me like the author failed to research and understand what his insurance coverage and potential liability was. Had he not damaged the car there would have been no article. He did damage the car and the responsibility is his. His insurance may cover most of it. I find it odd that someone who is apparently an attorney would fail to understand this. I see no shady business practice on the part of the BMW dealer. At the very least I see someone who does not appear to pay attention to details.

·
Registered
11,400 Posts
The thread title implies it's a BMW issue. It's not. It happens at most dealerships, not just BMW.
Most dealers don't have loaners. At the local Chevy dealer, I get a ride somewhere in their courtesy van, which usually includes a tour of two or three adjoining towns before getting to my destination.

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
Most dealers don't have loaners. At the local Chevy dealer, I get a ride somewhere in their courtesy van, which usually includes a tour of two or three adjoining towns before getting to my destination.
I've had loaners at most dealers including my current VW dealer and at a previous Audi dealer. Many will contract with rental companies like Enterprise who will provide the equivalent of a free loaner. In each case you are responsible for damages and sign a contract.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts