BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What were they thinking....Some Marketers Learn Nothing From Others' Past Mistakes

:mad:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/07/bmw-drops-ultimate-driving-machine/#comments

Information is from autoblog

"BMW has used the tagline "Ultimate Driving Machine" for 31 years. During that time its sales in the U.S. have gone from 15,007 units in 1974 the year before the ad slogan began to 266,200 units in 2005. While producing outstanding automobiles during that time may have something to do with the brand's success, no doubt the tagline is considered one of the best in the automotive biz (See Poll Results: Best Tagline Ever - Battle Royale). Regardless, BMW is dropping the successful phrase and replacing it with "A Company of Ideas".

We're of the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it camp, and Advertising Age has penned a nice article detailing why corporate culture often likes to change a winning slogan. AdAge also lists some of the monumental failures that have resulted. Hopefully we're wrong and BMW sales won't suffer from the new slogan, but we doubt the public will be able to think of Bimmers as anything but Ultimate Driving Machines for a very long time."

It is a sad day in Bimmer Land. I have no idea why they have made this decision, but it is one of the dumbest moves they could have made. History has shown over and over again that when you have an established icon you should not mess with it. The adage story on the link below has the history of past disasters in the auto industry. Obviously, somebody needs a history lesson.

Additional info here:

http://adage.com/article?article_id=110963

They took great care not to mess with the 3-series and yet they go mess with one of the best tag lines in the industry. Yeah, listen up BMW AG -- NOBODY NOT EVEN IDEA PEOPLE WANT A CAR WITH A LAME LIMP SOFT IMAGE. EVERYONE WANTS TO BE COOL EVEN IF YOU ARE IDEA PERSON.

I apologize, I just had to vent

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Oh great BMW! Great job you've done of changing the company. First you turn the 7-series into some techno-geek's dream car in 2002, introduce technology that was never asked for (AS), expand your waist-line (Bangle-butt), put in a turbo (335i), and now you change your trademark line that's basically defined your company for decades. Hey what's next? Maybe lose the manual transmission and eh while we're at it, let's go more mainstream by making V6s and adding a front-wheel drive model to the lineup in the future. :mad:

BMW is pushing me off the edge. Who knows what just might make me buy something else?

^yah, my rant.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
Oh great BMW! Great job you've done of changing the company. First you turn the 7-series into some techno-geek's dream car in 2002, introduce technology that was never asked for (AS), expand your waist-line (Bangle-butt), put in a turbo (335i), and now you change your trademark line that's basically defined your company for decades. Hey what's next? Maybe lose the manual transmission and eh while we're at it, let's go more mainstream by making V6s and adding a front-wheel drive model to the lineup in the future. :mad:

BMW is pushing me off the edge. Who knows what just might make me buy something else?

^yah, my rant.
Sorry, but your "next" is already here...

1. The new M5 and M6 were initially SMG only.
2. Can you say MINI?

How can you top "Ultimate Driving Machine"? :confused:

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Blame it on the lawyers. They know the next generation cars will drive you, not vice versa, and they don't want to be sued for false advertising. These are the same pusilanimous morons who demand that the meaningless but annoying "Accept" screen be cycled on iDrive, making it essentially useless when backing out of a parking space, and who have cautioned BMW to use words like "Don't Speed," "Always Wear Your Seat Belt," "Screw On the Gas Cap Tight," etc., etc., in all the advertising.

·
In Driving Heaven
2,772 Posts
Maybe BMW simply decided that they weren't really making the Ultimate Driving Machine anymore? Perhaps with all of the weight gain and extra (dare I say excess) features they've added to these cars, perhaps they decided a slogan update was in order. After all, if you are the Idea Company, you can add anything you want to the car and no one can accuse you of having done something that wasn't inline with your corporate motto.

I raise this point in the light that some folks have complained that it's been downhill since the BMW 2002. Weight and feature gain at the expense of driving delight.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
If they are seriously thinking doing this, their marketing head needs to be fired; and fired with CAUSE so that no one else ever thinks of committing the cardinal sin again.

BMWs Unique Selling Proposition is the driving feel; the "Fun of Driving" as they call it in their homeland. That is what distinguishes it from its competitors around the world. Thanks to the over abundance of electronics, the connection with the road is already diminishing a bit. Maybe its the sign of the times to come.

"A Company of Ideas" is the lamest thing they could have come with. This has nothing to do with cars, driving or even innovation.

Even a mental asylum has people full of out ideas.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
513 Posts
It takes years (decades, perhaps) to build a brand and reputation... the tagline is supposed to capture the essence of this. So after decades in building this up... they kill the tagline overnight... which may mean that the company is headed in a different direction :(

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
As much as the purists hate the Bangle designs and all the new gizmos, their sales have gone up.

I predict much the same thing from this.

BMW turned its back on its core market a while ago.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Sounds like a good strategy. The longer story includes the includes the notion of an "independent car company with independent ideas." I thihk they're differentiating themselves from the GM/Ford/Toyota conglomerates.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Robert A said:
Sounds like a good strategy. The longer story includes the includes the notion of an "independent car company with independent ideas." I thihk they're differentiating themselves from the GM/Ford/Toyota conglomerates.
If they're smart, they'll combine the two... have comercials emphasize their independence and ideas, while always having the symbol shown with those hallowed words under it,

'The Ultimate Driving Machine'

·
I hate doing dishes
3,009 Posts
First off, I'm not trying to start a fire here. Call it a rant in your general direction if you want. :D Hopefully they'll kill the idea before it gets off the ground anyway (I HOPE!). I just tend to disagree with your view on this topic.

Robert A said:
Sounds like a good strategy. The longer story includes the notion of an "independent car company with independent ideas." I thihk they're differentiating themselves from the GM/Ford/Toyota conglomerates.
Good strategy??? To change THE slogan of THE icon of the automotive industry? One that EVERYONE knows is synonymous with the BMW brand and the experience their cars offer? Not in my book. How are we going to refer to our future BMWs? As a/the car that was manufactured by an independent car company with independent ideas? Not very catchy... or exciting. Or anything. In fact, rather long and boring. Hmmm... Wait a minute... "The Car that was an Idea!" Oh boy... :rolleyes:

As far as "differentiating themselves" that goal was reached a long, long, lo-o-o-ng time ago.

Furthermore, according to AdAge, the new slogan is "A Company of Ideas". Ever try to drive an idea? :rofl: IMO, the whole thing is a stupid "idea!".

I'd much rather drive The Ultimate Driving Machine, a BMW.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I could not give a rats backside what there slogan is! Ill allways call them the Ultimate Driving Machine,see denial works for me!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It will always be The Ultimate Driving Machine to me :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
A Company of Ideas? :confused: :thumbdwn:

No way that's an effective slogan as the one we know, no way! It sounds too generic. IBM could use it, Motorola could use it, Sony could use it, Mr Smart Consultant IT firm could use it, ... so the idiots who thought it up have no attachment to the foundations of BMW, that's to create Ultimate Driving Machines. :tsk:

All I say to BMW is, lucky that your cars drive well, but if you are just any tin-pot company with that generic slogan, nobody would give a damn notice.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:

^yah, my rant.
With all the complaining your doing look at the Sales Reports thats the bottom line. Get with modern times after all this is 2006.
cheers
vern

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
Fast forward to 2010 :

"BMW....The Ultimate Driving Simulator"

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I have an idea. Boycott BMW Service till they change their mind, that IS after all how they likely make most of their $$

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.