BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All
As a new member I really havn't a clue what i am doing so bear with me.
I have a BMW e39 2001 3.0i sport. I am trying to find a list of tests for the hidden menu
I can access and unlock the tests but i do not know what each no. test is.
Can anyone help ?PLEASE

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E39 5 Series forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I think you are looking for something like the below? There are other summaries and subtests but I think this gets you towards your goal.

Michael...I give you an A for effort...but hopefully you'll come back and correct the "LEFT/RIGHT" button info so that if someone runs across this thread in the future, they won't get frustrated trying to UNLOCK their OBC. :D

Even in the LOCKED mode...anyone can do TEST 01 & TEST 02...not until you UNLOCK the OBC can you do TEST 03-21.

To UNLOCK the OBC:
  1. You add up the last 5 digits of your car's VIN,
  2. get in car and close the door...turn the ignition to POSITION 1 (position 2 will work but you'll need to fasten your seat belt to free up the display)
  3. press & hold the RIGHT button on the intrument cluster until you see TEST 01
  4. Continue to press the right button as the numbers progress upward UNTIL you get to TEST 19
  5. Once you get to TEST 19...enter the sum of the last 5 digits of your VIN by pressing the LEFT button on the instrument cluster until the correct number appears.
  6. To enter or set that number...press the RIGHT button on the instrument cluster.
The instructions above should UNLOCK your OBC (if it was previously LOCKED) and will give you unfettered access to the all 21 (hidden or secret) TESTs of the OBC

The info below gives more detail about each TEST and what some of the screens will look like on your CCD (check control display) on the instrument cluster:

Here's the procedure to unlock the OBC:
  • Turn ignition to position 1 (position 2 won't work unless you FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT)
  • Push right button in the instrument cluster and keep it pushed. You will first see "Check Control OK", some seconds later you will see "Test Nr.01"
  • Push the left button on the instrument cluster to see the car's identification number. Add the 5 digits together and write down that number, you will need it for unlocking all the functions. Example: DG23278 will lead to 2+3+2+7+8 = 22
  • Push the right button until you see "Test Nr.19"
  • Push left button until you see the number that is equal to the one you calculated above
  • Push right button again

Now you will have unrestricted access to Test No.3-21. If you made an error in the procedure mentioned above, Test No.3-21 will only display Lock:ON

Most of the tests are self-explanatory:
  1. Display Car's identification number, HW/SW version, construction date (week/year)
  2. A very beautiful instrument test
  3. Current consumption (liters/hour)
  4. Average consumption (liters/100 km)
  5. Current range
  6. I think this is remaining fuel in tank. Three sets of numbers: A/B/C. And I've noticed A+B=C.
  7. Engine RPM / Coolant Temp (C)
  8. Current Speed (kph)
  9. System voltage at Term. "R" (shows Battery Voltage w/engine NOT running...shows Alternator w/engine running)
  10. Country/Language (US, Spa, Ger, Jap, etc.)
  11. Units am/pm
  12. Average Speed
  13. ETA
  14. Date of Software Mask
  15. Production Diagnosis
  16. (may say OEL TEMP...but numerical digit remains constant regardless of oil temperature)
  17. Display Vehicle Specific Data
  18. Alarm Changeover (cont. vs. intermittent OBC chime)
  19. Lock/Unlock
  20. Correction factor for fuel consumption (nicht ändern!)
  21. Reset all defect codes

This is what you'll see in the CCD:
  1. Several numbers and data
  2. [Instrument Cluster Display Test]
  3. VBR: x,x (liters/hr)
  4. RW-VBR: x,x (liters/100 km)
  5. RW: x (km)
  6. T: (liters)
  7. TMTL: x,x (liters) / KTMP C
  8. V: x (kph)
  9. UB: xx,xx (V)
  10. LAND: 2=USA, 3=I, 4=E, 5=J, 6=F, 7=CDN, 8=AUS/GOLF, 0=D, 1=GB
  11. EINHEIT 1: B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, B9, BA, BB, BC, BD, BE, BF, B0, B1 EINHEIT 2: [similar to above, I didn't want to mess with it]
  12. VANK: xx,x (kph)
  13. ANK:xx:xx
  14. ROM:
  15. DIAG: 01 01 000 E3
  16. OEL TEMP: -48 C
  17. PROM: 00 12, 01 37, 02 18, 03 E6, 04 02, 05 B3, 06 FF, 07 7E
  18. HORN: DTON or [DTON flashing]
  19. LOCK: ON or LOCK: OFF
  20. KVBR: 1000
  21. RESET?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Hi All
As a new member I really havn't a clue what i am doing so bear with me.
I have a BMW e39 2001 3.0i sport. I am trying to find a list of tests for the hidden menu
I can access and unlock the tests but i do not know what each no. test is.
Can anyone help ?PLEASE
Which instrument cluster do you have? Its important because the procedure is slightly different as well as what you see in the display. If you have the LOW CLUSTER you don't have to enter the last 5 digits of your VIN..you just go to TEST 19 to UNLOCK the cluster.

Do you have the high cluster (it has a 20 digit alpha numeric display)? Click this link for a description of each TEST if you have the high cluster:

{example of high cluster UNLOCK procedure...this is the first page...if you click the link above you will get the proceeding pages that briefly detail the hidden tests & display for the high cluster}

Or do you have the low cluster (it has the icon "Graphic display")? Click this link for a description of each TEST if you have the low cluster:

{example of low cluster UNLOCK procedure...this is the first page...if you click the link above you will get the proceeding pages that briefly detail the hidden tests & display for the low cluster}

1 - 6 of 6 Posts