BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

i had a short question in regards to the repair that I should do. I’m getting a p0741 code, and at highway speeds I sometimes feel my transmission slip a bit. The car still drives fine in all gears except for 5th, and that is only the tiny bit of slippage I feel when driving faster.
Im wondering which pieces I need to replace, do I need to just replace the clutch plate or the flywheel as well? I’m asking because COVID really cut into my finances, and the difference in price is quite extensive.

option a:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

about 140€
Or option b:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Rim Font

about 600€
also, the second one is out of stock unfortunately…

barcelona has a great company that only does transmission work, and for 250€ they’ll install the pieces you bring yourself.

so which one should I go for?

·
Registered
471 Posts
If youre going in that far, replace the disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing. You may be able to have the flywheel resurfaced, and not have to purchase a new one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. I’ve already done the obvious, change the transmission fluid and filter and clean out the pan with its magnets.

·
Wingnut
4,280 Posts
im a tad confused here.....the P0741 is an auto trans code, stored in the EGS (auto transmission) module. there is no pan or filter to remove on a manual transmission, just a drain plug. the parts you are showing in your pictures are a clutch assembly for a vehicle equipped with a manual trans. the auto trans has a removeable pan and filter. which does your car have?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im a tad confused here.....the P0741 is an auto trans code, stored in the EGS (auto transmission) module. there is no pan or filter to remove on a manual transmission, just a drain plug. the parts you are showing in your pictures are a clutch assembly for a vehicle equipped with a manual trans. the auto trans has a removeable pan and filter. which does your car have?
I’ve got an auto.

the repair shop that will do the labor on this sent me this reference code for the items in case I wanted to order them myself: LUK 600018700.

maybe the picture is just a standard generic item, not the specific items in the package.

·
Wingnut
4,280 Posts
doesnt matter...a generic manual clutch is a manual clutch, all 3 main replacement parts are pictured in the pic you posted...disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing. wrong parts, wrong application.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doesnt matter...a generic manual clutch is a manual clutch, all 3 main replacement parts are pictured in the pic you posted...disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing. wrong parts, wrong application.
I guess you’re right, I’ll ask them for myself if they got the part number right, if they overlooked the car being an auto.

If that’s the case, it doesn’t give me piles of confidence though.

ive done work on my own engine, changed abs module, replace driveshaft parts and stuff, but I don’t know anything about transmission stuff, so this is making me doubt, so thanks for the info, and I’ll get back to you with their answer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
In the meantime, the p0741 code came on during the time my abs wasn’t working, I think the tranny wasn’t getting the correct wheel speeds. I had a bunch of issues before I replaced the abs module. After replacing it, the car drives a lot better, and feels more stable in its revs and stuff. The only thing I notice in 5th gear is that sometimes it suddenly jumps about 200-300 rpm up. When I read it with ista d/p, it told be that it was due to excessive slippage.

weird thing though, after replacing the abs module, the code does show up with my elm327 connected to my head unit, but ISTA says no errors with the transmission.

from what I’m gathering I’d need a new torque converter, not what they’re telling me in the shop. Or do I just need to replace the solenoid the error is referring to?

also, I see everywhere that this problem is bad for consumption, but my average is 9,2L/100km, which isn’t bad at all, as it’s highways and city. So I feel weird about this being the problem if that is one of its symptoms.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all,

I was looking around today, and I noticed some people with the same problem talking about the mechatronics sleeve connector being the problem.

Now, my car has been leaking oil quite a bit, (solved today) and I was wondering, it wouldn’t surprise me if some of that oil got into that connector. I’ll check it out and clean it with contact cleaner and stuff, but I was hoping to get some idea if this might actually be the issue, since the car drives fine otherwise.

or am I just looking for a too simple solution? 😂

·
Registered
2003 530i 5-spd (swap)
412 Posts
If you want to never have transmission problems again look into doing an auto-to-manual swap. I'm sure you can find all the parts easily in your neck of the woods since manual E39s were abundant in Europe. I did the swap (posted it here) when my auto started acting up. Best decision ever and it's a joy to drive the car now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to never have transmission problems again look into doing an auto-to-manual swap. I'm sure you can find all the parts easily in your neck of the woods since manual E39s were abundant in Europe. I did the swap (posted it here) when my auto started acting up. Best decision ever and it's a joy to drive the car now.
I would if it was my weekend car, but I spend a lot of time in the city, in traffic for work, which is why I chose auto.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 198 K milesmiles
1,960 Posts
or am I just looking for a too simple solution? 😂
Maybe you are looking for a problem, where there is none. :(
If ISTA does not report any error from the transmission module, then the transmission is fine.
Just do the usual maintenance hygiene: replace the transmission fluid and filter, fix the source of any oil leaks, clean and dry the connectors, and keep the battery fully charged - (The automatic transmission is very sensitive to poor voltage, much more than the manual)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe you are looking for a problem, where there is none. :(
If ISTA does not report any error from the transmission module, then the transmission is fine.
Just do the usual maintenance hygiene: replace the transmission fluid and filter, fix the source of any oil leaks, clean and dry the connectors, and keep the battery fully charged - (The automatic transmission is very sensitive to poor voltage, much more than the manual)
Fluid and filter are changed, oil leak recently fixed, new battery and alternator. I’ll take a look at the connectors when I have a chance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts