BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 540 and i am wondering if anyone has any input on a resonator delete or possibly removing one of the mufflers. Anyone do any modifications to the stock exhaust system for a slightly more aggressive exhaust note??

Thanks for the info

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
Get yourself a Dynomax 24215 and put that for the front resonator and then delete the rear resonator. You will get this sound

This video is of a 2001 bmw 540i with front resonator replaced with Dynomax 24215 and rear resonator replaced with straight pipe. Sounds GREAT! This is newly installed so it will change a bit when broken in some more.

·
Been there done that...
1,152 Posts
and how is that altered sound after going thru trouble of buying and welding stuff is better than raw muffler delete sound? :confused:

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
and how is that altered sound after going thru trouble of buying and welding stuff is better than raw muffler delete sound? :confused:
I never said my option sounds better than a muffler delete(So don't try to alter my posts meaning :confused: ), but he's better off doing my option if he's in an area where the cops crack down on muffler deleted cars like in my area.

It will sound more aggressive than stock but not as loud as a muffler delete.

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
I have a 540 and i am wondering if anyone has any input on a resonator delete or possibly removing one of the mufflers. Anyone do any modifications to the stock exhaust system for a slightly more aggressive exhaust note??

Thanks for the info
Besides....he said a "slightly more aggressive exhaust note"...not "I wanna wake up everyone withing a 2 block radius :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Been there done that...
1,152 Posts
I never said my option sounds better than a muffler delete(So don't try to alter my posts meaning :confused: ), but he's better off doing my option if he's in an area where the cops crack down on muffler deleted cars like in my area.

It will sound more aggressive than stock but not as loud as a muffler delete.
no, you said "forget muffler delete" and then edited your post

Besides....he said a "slightly more aggressive exhaust note"...not "I wanna wake up everyone withing a 2 block radius :rofl::rofl::rofl:
well, I have both 540 and a muffler delete. You have neither, I suspect. So I speak from experience, and what makes little six sound like a weedwacker (muffler delete) and wakes everyone up within a 2 radius block, sound very subtle until you get on it on a V8.

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
no, you said "forget muffler delete" and then edited your post

well, I have both 540 and a muffler delete. You have neither, I suspect. So I speak from experience, and what makes little six sound like a weedwacker (muffler delete) and wakes everyone up within a 2 radius block, sound very subtle until you get on it on a V8.
Look, all I'm sayin' is if he doesn't want the sound of a muffler delete, I showed him a slightly quieter option. If he wants a muffler delete, then more power to the guy! I just did as he asked (just like you did) and gave him an exhaust option (just like you did)

That being said....

First, I edited my post while I was in the thread and so I never saw your 2nd post with the vid until I was done editing, so it had nothing to do with your 2nd post....stuff like that happens in real time you know. ;)

Second, I don't get why you are getting so butthurt over my posts. The OP asked for alternative exhaust mods. You mentioned Muffler delete and I offered another option.

Third, I repeat... I NEVER SAID MY OPTION WAS BETTER THAN MUFFLER DELETE!!!! I just gave an alternate choice backed up with a video clip to show the result...the same way you showed a vid for your option (After my vid).

So I would just like to say...STEP OFF MY BALLS for posting an option that was not to your liking!

It's a free :mad: country!

Have a nice day :D

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
well I will like to know a good sugetion to improve the sound of the car. with out take the hole exause system off.
Well as we both suggested above, you can either:

1. Just get rid of your muffler (Muffler Delete) and go straight pipe.
  2. Swap out the stock front resonator for a Dynomax and keep your stock muffler (Won't be as loud as a delete)
  3. You could also just keep your resonators and just swap out the stock muffler at the end for a Magnafow. That will give you a nice deep rumble that isn't too loud. (See vid below of the 3rd option, since the vids for the 1st 2 options are posted above)

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts
This is a clip of my car. It's a 528i, but it has a nice low "Growl" to it. I did the same as the 540 clip above, with my stock Y-resonator.

Eventually I'll replace that with a Bullet Resonator. Once I do that the "growl" will be more aggressive but not as loud as a muffller delete. I chose this route only because in my area.....cops can be a little pen happy with their ticket books for loud cars :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My clip will kinda give peeps with an IL6 as opposed to a V8 an idea about how a simple muffler swap can change the sound of a car. :roundel:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts