Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Jim

If you think it makes a lot of noise from just changing the tensioner you should hear it after a full chain guide replacement when the vanos and it's solenoids have had the oil drain out of them! Now that's some racket.
I think he was saying he followed process, (locking crank & cams) and the tensioner is why his job failed...I don't think so...I think we're missin something

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow Jim is it save to start a car with this huge dry rattle?

I am at this stage still waiting for a part that I broke.

Yes GSXRyder we must be missing a big point "flywheel pin,,cams lock"

What I did was , counting the links on the chain and making marks on the vanos,,,all I can think is the chain had to jump the sprocket!!!

Hope the motor is ok..

·
Registered
903 Posts
This is why that if I even have to do this, I will do everything except time it. I will tow it to nearest Indy/dealer and have them time it for me.

Does anyone know a rough estimate for a timing job on the M62?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel like too many people in this thread dont build up oil pressure before they do these first time starts lol. This is like engine building 101, dont ever start a car after a rebuild without getting oil pressure first.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
I feel like too many people in this thread dont build up oil pressure before they do these first time starts lol. This is like engine building 101, dont ever start a car after a rebuild without getting oil pressure first.
Funny, I just posted a question about this in my thread, Around the M62TU in 80 Hours, More or Less. I'd be curious to know how to do it.

·
Supercharged 540i
426 Posts
How are you achieving oil pressure with out starting the engine.

·
Supercharged 540i
426 Posts
If you think it makes a lot of noise from just changing the tensioner you should hear it after a full chain guide replacement when the vanos and it's solenoids have had the oil drain out of them! Now that's some racket.

I bet. Until the system is fully lubricated it's gonna make a hella of a racket. And their is no way to pre lube it. Unless you pack it with vaseline.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Actually, Clark, this came up in my thread. According to JimLev, you can pull the fuel pump fuse and leave the plugs out, and then spin the starter.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
(I use

Lubriplate 105 Engine assy lube, stuff has been part o all my tractor rebuilds and never had any problem... In the BMWs I use it and 0w-40 for the first 100 miles or so then change the oil...

·
retiredat44
315 Posts
confused, you worked on the engine internals, but did not spin the engine by hand and wrench a few turns by hand without the plugs in to check everything was meshed properly, you just hit the starter and the engine locked?
if it locks by only hand crank and a valve smacks a piston while turning by hands, should be no damage, just smacked the valve by the timing off... should be able to check timing with valve cover off...

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I hope you don't leave us hanging on this one. I'm really wanting to know what happened with this car.

doc

·
Under the lift arms
12,899 Posts
you pull the fuel pump fuse, and crank..

or you can pull the injector plugs and crank..

just stop the engine from fireing and crank... Its simple..

unlike old school fuel pumps and oil pumps.. you cant really bench bleed a motor,

you put stp50 on the mains and rods you put oil in from the top.. and you crank it for 15 seconds..

·
Registered
177 Posts
dont have a 540i yet but reading up on all the DIY's...
i didnt even think to just tow it to an indie to do the timing and chain guides properly, and i just do the disassembly/reassembly, that's a very good idea. that guarantees nothing gets messy and with my parts its probably only an hour of labor. Tow costs might be expensive though unless i tow it with a friend's truck (probably not a good idea)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
don't have a 540i yet but reading up on all the DIY's...
i didn't even think to just tow it to an indie to do the timing and chain guides properly, and i just do the disassemble/reassembly, that's a very good idea. that guarantees nothing gets messy and with my parts its probably only an hour of labor. Tow costs might be expensive though unless i tow it with a friend's truck (probably not a good idea)
Another option would be to pick up something like AAA that has a tow service. There is usually something like 24 or 48 hrs no tow on a new contract. So sign up a week or so before you are done, then call them and have it towed to the garage for free. Really nice to have an auto service backing you up anyway. You never know when you will find you have a dead battery, etc.

doc

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
say what?

dont have a 540i yet but reading up on all the DIY's...
i didnt even think to just tow it to an indie to do the timing and chain guides properly, and i just do the disassembly/reassembly, that's a very good idea. that guarantees nothing gets messy and with my parts its probably only an hour of labor. Tow costs might be expensive though unless i tow it with a friend's truck (probably not a good idea)
Who can even contemplate this an an hr? Parts alone are 8-900...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Who can even contemplate this an an hr? Parts alone are 8-900...
once you get to the guides and chain itself? i'd do everything else while i was in there, mr indie would just swap the guides and make sure the timing stays true, then its back to me to reassemble and do all the seals/gaskets

·
1,421 Posts
once you get to the guides and chain itself? i'd do everything else while i was in there, mr indie would just swap the guides and make sure the timing stays true, then its back to me to reassemble and do all the seals/gaskets
prob have to have a good relationship w a mechanic for them to do that - if you were to then put the car back together and it have an issue on startup (like OP i suppose), the indie would not want any liability given they only did a small part of the job...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts