BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone, I know that this button (or something like it) is to regulate lights,

but I dont get which one or how, I roll it up and down but nothing happenes,

can someone explain how should it work or how can i fix it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Adjusts the vertical orientation of the headlights. My car is not so equipped so I can't tell you much about it. Put the car bout 15' from a wall at night and move the wheel and see what happens to the head lights. These do have various problems that arise and yours many need repair.

Jim

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,994 Posts
Looks like Jim just beat me to it. I thought in America they were all supposed to be auto-level adjusting though, where did you get that car?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Mine is Made in Germany 523i,

how can i repair it?
They were all made in Germany. Cars for export to different countries came configured differently.

Determine if the motor works when the wheel is turned. This will give you an idea of where to go next because it could be an electrical problem, or could be a mechanical problem and you need to know which it is to fix it. (Could also be both. "You can't tell the players without a program.")

Jim

·
Registered
587 Posts
i believe there is more than one Georgia. ;)

the adjusters inside the lenses break over time. i expect (but do not know) that the adjuster you have uses the same mechanism that the auto leveling uses. as long as you do not have a 2003 vehicle the adjusters can be replaced after backing the headlights in the oven to soften the adhesive holding on the front sense. once in, you remove what is left of the old adjuster and put in the new ones. you can not get them from BMW, but there re plenty of aftermarket versions available. look for e39 headlight adjuster.

HTH,

G~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello guys i am a new owner of an E39 TDS also my first post here, i hope you will be kind. I have found exactly the same problem on my car and have examined the light adjusters which seem ok. i have been reading and it seem three could be a problem whith the lighting control unit (LCM)? I havn't checked the wiring through yet (where to start?) but understand to replace the lcm requires coding to the vehichle, no chance of that - yet, or replacing transistors, which perhaps is easier? If they are deemed the problem Would doing the transitors solve this? I must admit this is a problem for a bit later on for me as there are more pressing thigns to do... Anyway Greets From me a Brit in france.
Dave

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Though I don't have auto anything headlights the adjuster arms on all models are a common and frequent failure. I think uts safe to say ALL e39s suffer from brittle plastic adjusters.

So before tackling anything electrical I would make sure the motor actually works. Have one person up front hearing or visually checking the headlight while the other operates the switches on the dash.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,994 Posts
i believe there is more than one Georgia. ;)
With the exception of the typo in the title, the English was so good I didn't even think about the other Georgia.

Now if xjmaxim's location was given as Paris, I would have thought France and not assumed one of the many cities with that name on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Nothing was happening when I tried my switch. The headlights needed polishing so I tried to polish them up, but after a while I gave up and ordered new headlights.
When I took the old headlights out there was a lot of rattle from the inside, and sure enough, everthing inside was broken. Nothing was really holding the headlights in place either.
With new headlights installed everything works again, the headlight height adjustment also.
The headlight adjustment I could live without but when theey wobble and are foggy also its a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank You for replying.
I got the same as 521Aut. Nothing moved and no sound from the light sevos.Incidently Ive also polished the plastic light covers which passed the control. Will sand and clear cote I think - another job doh! As a first step does anyone know where the fuse would be? I am also open to possible solutions..
I, nowhere near Paris btw.Normandy. My Englisee is fair I suppose for an uneducated limey, pomme,or whatever ;-)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
If your headlights are working, and the lightbulb sockets sit okay I would not worry about the headlight height adjustment at all. Problem can be, that the plastic rods that control the headlight height also hold the light itself, and if the plastic is broken the light will wobble when you drive.....
Get a garage to polish your light covers for you.....it will last about a year, then you have to do it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess you dont know french garagists. I have only I kidney left! Actually I do 99 % of repairs myself. I will repolish them myself when I get my polishing spindle motor repared. I was a pita to do them by hand. I was thinking about sanding and aplying some 2K laquer I hear this is a better solution?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I guess you don't know french garagists. I have only I kidney left! Actually I do 99 % of repairs myself. I will re-polish them myself when I get my polishing spindle motor repaired. I was a pita to do them by hand. I was thinking about sanding and applying some 2K lacquer I hear this is a better solution?
I had to do some polishing on mine. Hand sanded them wet with a few drops of liquid soap in the water, first with 600, then 1000, then 1500. Then polished them out with anti-swirl compound. (Very fine grit compound) Came out great. Same treatment for the tail lights. I don't think lacquer is needed.

Jim

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
:) :) :) ...for those of us that are geographically challenged...maybe this will help. :D :D :D

{the Republic of Georgia}

{the State of Georgia}

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ah, so they finally moved that state out of the US!!! Guess this means we will have to all get new flags with 1 less star. :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts