BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
My BMW has EML light on, every morning(or when the engine is cold) for few seconds the idle speed oscillates between ~400-800. After a scan i found this two fault codes: 285A and 2860. I figured out what 285A means but i have no ideea what the other fault code means.
Thank you.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hello,
Get your idle control valve cleaned. That'll clear up the rough idle and you can clear the code after that. I have the same engine on my 318i and it happens to me once every about 6 months. I attribute it to the quality of gas! Let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone on other forum say:
N42 engine does not have idle speed control valve.

Haynes - 4A.14) Idle speed is regulated by lift and duration of inlet valves controlled by ECM.

I hazard a guess at MAF, vacuum leak, spark, igntion coil problem as you have not mentioned what the problem is and I assume you have poor idle

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sorry I had to cross check with my guy!! Its at the MAF. Disconnect the MAF and behind it.. that needs to be cleaned! I figured it for an ICV because it was causing erratic idle! :dunno: Keep me posted if that works. It definitely did in mine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts